What do I have here

Johanna1

2 new acquisitions, would love some advice, please.

thanks

Attachments

• photo72708.jpg
    photo72708.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 66
  • photo72709.jpg
    photo72709.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 94
Hi Johanna! Good to see you back :)
Both seem like freshwater pearl necklaces to me, the one with the blue background seems more like potato pearls...the one with a light background doesn't offer much contrast so it's harder to even see many traits. If you have that one with a beige or gray background it would be nice!

Johanna,

We do enjoy seeing and analyzing the characteristics of your pearl pieces. A few years back, this list was compiled by our admins to help give us info and photos to best help us identify the pearls. Although it may not seem logical, a white paper towel as background for photos is an excellent choice.

These usefull suggestions are taken from a "sticky" posted under this topic:

"1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against another pearl (or against the edge of your tooth, if there is only one pearl?) Please rub gently!
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures. If the clasp has stones, have you had them tested, or do you have documentation about what they are?

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls."

Good suggestion dear pattye

I think you have some interesting pearls there. One strand appears to be an antique American freshwater strand to me. The other looks like an antique 3.5 momme akoya strand.

This is a natural American freshwater choker from my personal collection.

natural freshwater pearls.jpg

This is an old strand of graduated Japanese akoya pearls, also from my personal collection.

3.5 momme.jpg

These are great Jeremy! And maybe @Johana1 should take a good look at those pearls, take some photos and share them with the forum! :arms:

Looking more closely at the smaller strand, it may actually be a small natural saltwater strand. The graduation looks smaller than a 3.5 momme, even though the shape is consistent.

To give you a little more information the smaller strand on the white background is 18 inches long, pearl size ranging from 4mm to 2 mm. the clasp is platinum set with tiny old cut diamonds and a pearl. I don’t know if this helps.

Hi
First one could be old american freshwater, or saltwater.
I saw both types in the past.
The mount seems to be original, maybe american, or from UK, victorian era, with 2 yellow gold parts on sides, for me it means pearls are old, so definitely not cultured freshwater (biwa for example)
I never saw this type of mount in french jewelry.
The second one is natural saltwater pearl necklace, calibrated round pearls, probably hundred years old or so, and worn, making the barrel shape.

Last edited:
Jeremy has included an early natural freshwater strand for comparison, which is clearly that. Graded for size (graduation) first, then luster, color and shape by lessening degrees. Each markedly dissimilar at the nuclei. This is what we'd expect from most natural strands, especially ones created from a small pool of pearls.
As to the OP, given the overall uniformity of the secondary and tertiary points mentioned, these preclude natural origin. For these reasons, I'd suggest early cultured pearls. Fresh or salt water origin unknown.

Back