WG or YG clasp

saltyorfresh

Community member
hi

i am looking at getting a 35 inch akoya with rose overtone (something on the light side though). What kind of gold clasp - WG or YG would you choose and why?

Yellow gold is the classic choice for white pearls, personally I prefer white gold but I've never really been a gold fan.

Honestly, I think it is a personal preference. How great the length will be to wear long or doubled!

Perhaps here are some considerations:

1. Do you mostly wear your hair long, so the clasp will not show? If so, perhaps choose a more basic clasp, without diamonds or gemstones.

2. Do you have a personal preference for white or gold color? If not, there are some lovely two-tone clasps, decorative enough to be worn
on the side of the strand as a variation.

Most important to protect your sizeable investment in lovely pearls would be a substantial clasp with a safety of some sort.

Hope to see photos of the finished necklace in the future!

It is a personal choice. Either works depends on what you like.

Good Luck!

Ash

What colour earring mounts do you wear? That should be your answer.

It sounds nice, enjoy wearing them on completion.

As Pattye say's, show us a pic please.

Thank you all for your input. I do understand it's often a matter of personal preference... i have always preferred white gold but as i grow older (39), it seems silvery looking jewelry look too young on me so i am now more into YG/RG necklaces and bracelets... but then when it comes to diamond i still prefer WG. Just wonder if there's a 'rule' with pearls.

R&B - i think i'd pair the pearl necklace with diamond studds on WG or just go without earrings.

Pattye - i have super short hair so the clasp is going to show. I like simple design and i'm looking at getting a basket/cage style that just clasp around the pearl.

i have always preferred white gold but as i grow older (39), it seems silvery looking jewelry look too young on me so i am now more into YG/RG necklaces and bracelets... but then when it comes to diamond i still prefer WG.

(Laughs) Couldn't help but chime in here - spot on. Am 37 going on 38 and YG does look livelier against the skin these days and I have the same rule (diamonds = WG) for bling over a certain 'carat-age' for maximal wattage. I don't know if you are anything like me but I have for years resisted mixing my metals. I've since forced myself to discard my own antiquated rules by dobbing bright sterling, oxidised silver and gold vermeil into my design mix and getting a two-toned watch.

(Laughs) Couldn't help but chime in here - spot on. Am 37 going on 38 and YG does look livelier against the skin these days and I have the same rule (diamonds = WG) for bling over a certain 'carat-age' for maximal wattage. I don't know if you are anything like me but I have for years resisted mixing my metals. I've since forced myself to discard my own antiquated rules by dobbing bright sterling, oxidised silver and gold vermeil into my design mix and getting a two-toned watch.

I haven't crossed over to two-toned watch yet but I am starting to appreciate rose gold on watches ;). Talking about RG, they are perfect match with golden pearls. Online vendors and designers, do consider! :p

Back