Natural Baroque Type Pearls

Tami

Hi,
I find these fascinating...77 (originally 79 I think but a small one seemed to have been lost in a break so I removed a dull one while restringing) graduated pearls from 8mm to about 2mm,

The clasp is very white gold marked 9ct with a large mine cut diamond chip that actually has a diamond shaped table - so they are pretty old. They were strung on double silk, not single (as I have restrung them) the ends were wrapped (something I just cannot master), but I doubt that was the original stringing, from restringing it seems possible they were originally collected as pairs, even with similar flaws (a few are like pimples you can see an exposed bit of grit in) but have already been restrung to a different interpretation of size - though basically round they are very irregular. The lustre can vary a lot, but the colour is uniform.

Any idea what they might be?

Attachments

• IMG_3869[1].jpg
    IMG_3869[1].jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3873[1].jpg
    IMG_3873[1].jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3871[1].jpg
    IMG_3871[1].jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 37
Thank you both, I had a feeling they were akoya, and I really came to appreciate the beauty of this necklace re-stringing it - each pearl is so individual, yet with the old blackened silk gone they are so harmonious.

Back