Vietnamese Pearls

T

The Pearl Outlet

Here is a strand from this year's harvest of Vietnamese Akoya pearls. They are perfectly round and the colors are natural. The luster is fabulous on this lot we purchased. The pearls on this strand are 7.5mm to 8mm.

Attachments

• ANVM8MMAAA-lg.jpg
    ANVM8MMAAA-lg.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 40
Wow, Terry!

Those will make us think "Spring" for sure! Wonderful colors, thanks!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Glad to see these! :cool:

Recalling an oldish thread with no real answer: could THESE possibly be colored Akoya also? :rolleyes:

looks good Terry, whats the availability like on the Vietnamese pearls?

...could THESE possibly be colored Akoya also?
It is possible...

How thick is the nacre on that strand?
The Vietnamese pearls are known for their nacre thickness, often being compared to pearls from the last years of Japan?s golden age in the 1950s and 1960s. The current MINIMUM nacre thickness that the farms are targeting/attaining is 1mm.

whats the availability like on the Vietnamese pearls?
We currently have them in sizes from 2.5mm to 8.5mm with qualities ranging from AA to Gem. They aren't cheap though, and availability is fairly limited.

akoya

akoya

The Vietnamese pearls are known for their nacre thickness, often being compared to pearls from the last years of Japan?s golden age in the 1950s and 1960s. The current MINIMUM nacre thickness that the farms are targeting/attaining is 1mm.

Terry, does this Vietnamese akoya thickness apply to your new stock as well as old stock ? I bought a white akoya strand from you last year. I believe the strand came with a piece of paper that said it's Vietnamese akoya. Thanks.

Yes, it does apply to both. Our Vietnamese stock last year was limited to an extreme.

I absolutely love the Vietnamese akoya pearls on the PTO special I bought last fall. Unfortunately, I ended up giving them to my mom for Christmas because they were strung on a box chain and those things latch onto my hair and don't let go! Sigh - I'd love one of the strands, but I'm broke after the exotics. Rotten kids and their darned college tuition....

Hi Terry Shepherd,

Those Akoya are beautiful! I love combination of the colors!
Thanks for posting the photos,

Tanakarn

We currently have them in sizes from 2.5mm to 8.5mm with qualities ranging from AA to Gem. They aren't cheap though, and availability is fairly limited.

Oooh, I saw that yesterday on the website and was going to post about it. 2.5mm akoya strands? Wow..... I've never seen pearls that small.

Very nice ... later this year, maybe ... gotta make fewer impulse purchases to get the really good stuff!

It is possible...

Terry,

Nacre thickness: it means 2 mm on the total or just 1 mm?
1 mm could also mean 0,5 mm of the radius, a total of 1 mm. Which is correct?:confused:

Nacre thickness: it means 2 mm on the total or just 1 mm?

For the Vietnamese pearls, they measure it as the depth of the nacre. ie. the total nacre thickness would be 2mm, and that is a minimum. As an example, many of their 5-6mm pearls are started with a 2.5mm nucleus.

That is great news and would totally alter how I felt about buying akoyas. With that kind of nacre thickness, they would be about as durable as SSP or Tahitians, right?

Yes, they should have the durability of SSPs and Tahitians, given the thickness of the nacre.

I think they are lush, the colours are really amazing.

It's been approx 5 years since I have done full time work for the trade
and I am gob smacked, even in that time with the technology and changes within the industry.

What do the itty bitty ones start with as a nucleus? The proverbial grain of sand? Didn't see them on the website. Smaller IS better!

The smallest ones, 2.5-3mm, certainly are tiny. Any thoughts on designs which would be cost effective and look good? They are full-drilled and on temporary strands right now.

Back