Vietnamese Pearls

100_0584.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0587.jpg

100_0588.jpg

Probably not zooming in too much makes the pictures look better. The colors and overtones of the Akoyas are as follows: silver/lavender, golden, white/rose and white/ivory. I'm through with small pearls, but my guess is the smaller gem strands would look really tight like the freshwater exotic does. Shape and surface are impeccable as expected of Akoyas.

100_0593.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0595.jpg

100_0591.jpg

Wow!! The luster on the akoyas are amazing. On some of your pictures, I can see the soap bubble effect.

I actually really like the bow clasp. I don't know if I'm describing it accurately - the clippy bit has to go in a certain direction (knob goes right side up), otherwise the clasp doesn't fasten properly, so you always know if it's secure. The clasp is big enough to handle so you can do it up quite easily from the back without looking. I love ball clasps but the smaller ones are very difficult to do up.

I don't know why I can't go for smaller pearls any longer, but my guess is that the smaller gem strands would look even better. I think the thing is to balance nacre thickness with the shape and surface, so some of the bigger white pearls have a bit less luster. Nonetheless, still outstanding in sunlight, which is the true test.

Last edited:
Vietnam?s cultivated pearls

Vietnam?s cultivated pearls

Vietnam?s cultivated pearls promising good income

With a long history of more than 100 years searching for natural pearls from see beds and recent pearl cultivation and export, Vietnam has a firm position on the map of world pearl producers.

One company tapping the potential of Vietnam ?s 3,200km coastline of high-quality natural pearls is Japanese-owned company Taiheiyo Shinju Vietnam Co. Ltd. Established in 2000 and with a current capital investment of 2 million USD, the company?s products ? known under the trademark of Spica - have earned firm status in tough markets like the US , Japan and the European Union.

The company has been successful in cultivating high-quality pearls by breeding two oyster species in a farm in Van Don island, Bai Tu Long gulf in northern Quang Ninh province.

Taiheiyou Sinju Vietnam is the sole pearl producer to have received the Vietnam Gold Star award which is aimed at honouring premier products and brands.

In 2007, the company exported 400kg of pearls, fetching around 16 billion VND. For 2008, it has set a target of exporting 500 kg of pearls, worth around 20 billion VND.

In addition to breeding oysters for pearls, the company has also been active in producing jewellery. It is currently opening its business to the domestic market, to provide more options for local customers who previously have used low quality, imported pearls.

According to Director of Taheiyo Shinju Vietnam Nguyen Thanh Trung, the company has not yet met the huge demand of the domestic market. He said his company plans to open an international pearl transaction floor in Vietnam , which will also create more jobs for local workers.

Since the 1990s, Japanese experts have come to Vietnam to work with the Ministry of Fisheries in raising oysters for pearl cultivation

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/biz/2008/05/780998/

Con Dao island

Con Dao island

VietNamNet Bridge - The number of tourists to Con Dao island district of southern Ba Ria-Vung Tau province is increasing. Under Con Dao?s socio-economic development plan, the island district targets to welcome 200-250,000 tourists a year by 2010 and 500-700,000 tourists a year by 2020. Of the tourists who come to Con Dao, many of them are sure to come for pearl.

The determination of the ?pearl Westerner?

From the centre of the Con Dao district, it is easy to ask for the way to the house of the ?pearl Westerner,? a nickname the Con Dao people call Jordan Lee, from Australia.

Jordan Lee is the first foreigner to start business in Con Dao island by opening a farm to raise oysters to cultivate pearls.

With an initial investment of over a hundred of thousand dollars, after six years, the couple of Jordan and Pham Thi Kim Cuc multiplied hundreds of millions of young oysters and released them to the sea.

The couple have been particularly successful in cultivating pearls in the oysters and have already harvested cultivated pearls.

Jordan has not only helped save oysters but has also created a trademark for Con Dao cultivated pearls.

The villa where the family of Jordan and Kim Cuc live and also the office of the Con Dao Pearl Company has been decorated in such a way that any one can realise at once the passion for sea and pearls of its owners.

Jordan displays the first cultivated pearls he has harvested in the two cases in the house, the achievements the couple has recorded after overcoming great difficulties.

Jordan first arrived in Vietnam 13 years ago as a technician to cultivate pearls in oysters for the Nha Trang Pearl Company. At that time, Nha Trang was among the first places in Vietnam to develop cultivating pearls in oysters.

Once he came to Con Dao to conduct a survey on water and sea environment there, he immediately realised that the conditions in Con Dao were favourable for raising oysters for pearls.

In 2001, Jordan Lee and his wife Kim Cuc were officially granted the status of residents of Con Dao. They lived on the island since.

With support from Japanese and Australian experts, the Vietnam Con Dao Pearl Company was established, focusing on cultivating, producing and selling pearls

At first, Jordan bought oysters from local farmers. However, the source of supply of oysters is not big enough because the locals exploited oysters in an unrestrained manner to sell their shells to traders for making handicrafts.

In order to meet the demand for oysters, Jordan decided to open an oysters-raising farm to increase the supply of the Con Dao oysters. He has been allowed to hire 100 hectares of sea surfaces to raise oysters for pearls.

Difficulties

Despite the strong northwesterly wind in Con Dao, Jordan and his workers can always be found present on the sea-farm. It take 20 minutes by a speed-boat from the island to the lighter on the Con Dao sea. There are days Jordan and his wife had to travel several times from the island to the farm and back.

About 20 workers have taken turns to work on the farm.

It often takes five years to harvest cultivated pearls from an oyster since it was born.

The cultivation of pearls into an oyster is very important as it will decide how beautiful the cultivated pearls are, said Jordan.

Jordan farm has released hundreds of millions of oysters to the sea for natural reproduction. According to him, it will be a success if only one million of them develop well till they are old enough (two years) to be able to cultivate pearls.

With great efforts, Jordan and his wife have proved that the cultivation of pearls in oysters in Con Dao island can be successful and promises great potentials for development.

Achievements

The success in multiplying raised oysters in Con Dao has not only met the demands for long-term oyster-pearl production but also helped balance the ecological environment as wild oysters had previously been unrestrainedly exploited.

Jordan?s company have bought a total of 30,000 oysters from local people for pearl cultivation. The company has helped raise the income of local people through buying oysters and giving them jobs during harvesting.

According to experts, the quality of Con Dao pearls is in no way inferior to any other pearls, including those produced in Australia, which is considered as the world leading producer of cultivated pearls.

As many as 80% of pearls produced in Con Dao have been exported to foreign markets, including Japan and Australia. The remaining 20% have been sold to domestic jewelry companies.

Amazing pearls Raisondetre. The luster is fantastic.
I always look forward to your photos and comments. Keep 'em coming!
Robin

Back