Using a strand of pearls as a hair accessory

amrewh

Hi there! I've posted this on Yahoo! Answers, TheKnot.com, and emailed a few hair stylists, but I haven't really gotten any responses that made me very confident either way. Maybe you guys can help!

My grandmother really wants me to wear her pearls on my wedding day. While I love the idea of the tradition and her pearls are gorgeous (and worth a ton) I really want a bare neckline.

She had the idea that I should weave them through my updo, instead of wearing them around my neck. In theory, this sounds beautiful, but I'm worried about how it would work logistically - I wouldn't be able to use hairspray (or any other product) since that would damage the pearls' finish, but I have fine hair - it *needs* product to stay put.

Have any of you done this or seen it done? Can you think of a way that it might be able to work?

One girl recommended using the pearls as a sort of 'headband' after the updo was finished, and the hairspray had dried. That would definitely work, but isn't necessarily the look I wanted for my wedding day.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Perhaps you could commit to restringing and fasten a few to tiny pins to stud your updo. If your updo is bun-ish, perhaps the strand could be wrapped around the base.

She's offering them for your wedding, so perfume and/or foundation could touch them in any event. If you find a good way to incorporate them, I'd let the hair product dry, put them on at the last minute, then hand them off to an attendant with pearl-safe wash immediately afterward.

It sounds like you aren't wearing a veil of any sort-- that would be the easiest solution... is your dress smooth, or is there any place you could sneak them in amidst beading then remove them afterward?

Pearl garter-- problem solved! ;D

Oh my - pearl garter, how risque! ;)

I've only seen them once, and if I remember correctly they can be worn as a bracelet (I feel like I remember the little extra bracelet clasp attachment...thing...) but the problem with that is that my colors are white, black, and red, so my dress is white while the pearls are as white as real pearls can be, lol.

My dress is smooth all over, so hiding them wouldn't really work.

Restringing might be an option - I don't think that even she could tell you the last time she wore them, so I can't see how she'd be opposed to that...hmm...

Well, this is just my opinion----if the pearls are in good condition now, you don't mention what kind or size or length they are--------touching hairspray one time if they are cleaned well shortly after would probably not do tremendous damage. I would probably very gently apply a light application of olive oil with my hands, then wipe off excess before use. The light oil application would give some protection against the hairspray. I, like you, need the hairspray! Although I know you want to please your grandmother, your common sense needs to prevail here!

If the pearls are at all heavy, they could be a bit tricky to stay fastened in a hairdo! and bobby pins over the knotting is perhaps not the best idea either!

If the pearls were the correct length they could be worn as a bracelet, or carefully "wired" into the bridal bouquet, which would be my first choice, and make for some lovely and sentimental photos!

This is just my opinion----I will be interested to see how others feel about the olive oil idea---------

The olive oil is a good idea, I think. Good olive oil is, by definition, very low in natural acidity. I lightly oil pearls just as you described after washing them because they feel a little dry.

Bouquet is a great idea too.

Oooh, I like the olive oil idea - I'd feel much better with at least some sense of security that they are going into my hair with a bit of "protection".

The bouquet idea could work, I'll have to play around with that!

Get fake pearls to wear in your hair - they are lighter. Leave the real ones around your neck or wrists. :)

I love Pattye's idea of them being wired into the bouquet. Pearls are very easily strung and restrung, so it wouldn't be too difficult to separate the strand into a couple of small lengths - 3 or 5, depending on how many pearls there are, and they could even be wired very easily - quite securely and using these throughout your bouquet. (I come from a long line of florists in my family...) No hairspray there! Then just have them strung up again later. And you can gaze at them to your heart's content!

Ew, fake pearls. Definitely not. It's either real ones or none!

The bouquet idea could really work - I'll have to ask my grandmother how she feels about it.

Thanks for all the responses!

Hi Amrewh,

Being a bride is like navigating a minefield -- you have to consider every eventuality and possible hurt feeling -- but it is YOUR day.

Don't forget it's supposed to be fun!

Best wishes,
Blaire

GemGeek - Oh! Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm acutally not very stressed out at all, though - I would love to wear my grandmother's pearls. It is just about finding a unique way to incorporate them. :)

May I suggest that you try out an up-do with the pearls now? That way you can see if they will work. ;)

Gosh, I wonder if and when my Granddaughters get married (they are now 6 and 10) will they want to wear my pearls????? :cool:

Pattye, your granddaughters could have a double wedding, and would probably have enough pearls for their necks, hair, wrists, bouquets, and some left over for all their attendants if they wore your pearls!!;)

Ew, fake pearls. Definitely not. It's either real ones or none!

Nothing worng with that.

Another idea is make your own pearl accents for the hair using bobby pins Pearls and headpins or jewellery wire. A great accent for any "brides doo" and color hair.

If Queen Elizabeth I can do it so can our modern bride! It's an elegant accent. These too can be taken appart and made into something else later.

Good Luck!!

Cheers
Ash

My hairstylist says she isn't willing to try it (not in a negative way - she just doesn't think it would be a good idea, and she doesn't want to be responsible for ruining the pearls!) so I guess I'll have to find an alternative to my alternative!

I think getting them worked into the bouquet would look very nice. :)

Thanks for all your help, everybody!!

And I don't know about your granddaughters, but I've been dying to wear my grandmother's pearls my entire life!! I'm sure they feel the same! :)

Back