Tuscon Gem Show

P

pearltime

I attended the Tuscon Gem Show. A lot of booths had pearls and a lot of people were buying them. The prices didn't seem like bargains to me. The multi-colored fresh water strands sold well and the lower end pearls sold like hot-cakes. As far as Akoyas I believe the prices were too high for reselling unless they could be re-sold from a brick and mortar jewelry store. It's a mystery to me as to who the customers were . I suppose jewelry designers,jewelry store owners etc. were the customers.

Did anyone else attend??

I was not at this show but the prices you witnessed were typical of what you would find at the trade shows. The prices are more expensive because most people coming to these shows are not buying in large volumes. They may need a few pearls here and there. You are right. Many of the people buying pearls at these shows are from small jewelry stores or are jewelry designers, etc. or are looking for those few missing pieces from their inventory.

Hi Pearltime
I too attended the Tucson Gem Show 2006. I went out of the country immediately after and did not report as I did last year. Actually the lengthy report I did last year is good for this year too.

Basically the AGTA and GLDA Shows are top of the line prices and pretty good quality. I got to try on a SS from Paspaley and looked at their goddess line. (3 necklaces named after Greek goddesses with pearls running from 16mm to 24mm and around 25-100k per). Those expensive shows are the ones at the Starr Pass Marriott and at the Tucson Convention Center.(TCC)

The GYX show, in an enormous out building near the TCC, has some huge pearl dealers and good prices. However, for CFWP (freshwaters) I prefer the G&LW shows. I go to the one down the block from the Holidome, though they have 3 locations.

• I got 5mm AAAluster A+ shape round white for $5 per strand. They compare favorably to my best AAA from Jeremy.
  • I also got high quality 9mm buttons for $10 per;
  • 6mm buttons for $4 per;
  • and 3mm buttons for $3 per;. If I had bought by the kilo, the price would have dropped.
  • I got some very round 7mm natural colors, about an A+ for around $8 per.
  • I got about 30 strands of black nuggets for $20.
  • Some nice round A 10mm peacock for $10 per;
  • and some B quality size 11-14mm Blk-dyed for $10 per.
These kinds of pearls sell well, and even though the gaudy, tawdry pearls dyed circus colors and odds drippy shapes, are stacked up to the ceiling, they don?t seem to be selling.

At the shows I visit, buyers come in and fill bins and bins with pearls and take them away in huge boxes on wheels and they do this all day long! Beads stores sell huge quantities of pearls and they buy them here.

There is a huge variation in prices and some buyers buy from others at the show and resale in the very same hall! My rule is not to buy until I have compared prices. I can tell you right now, that Evergreen Trading at GL&Whas acres of pearls and good prices for stateside. I usually buy there first.

Also the Riverside Inn on the frontage road has some great small dealer retail booths like Drusy Creations with Care Ehret and her Mexican and Kasumi pearls. Also Pacific Pearls for cherry picked strands. You pay more, at Pacific Pearls, but not like at the TCC booths, but you can get lovely pearls. I know Sea of Cortez showed up, but I missed them this year again.

Next January, I will do a thread on this subject and offer to help folks on the forum with info on the various shows. I have all the promo books and lit.

Hi Caitlin!

2006 is the first time I have gone to the Tuscon show. I was there for three days. I didn't know any better so of course I went to the expensive shows. I should have talked to you first. Next time I will know where to go, so thanks for the info. At least I had the good sense not to spend much,<$100.00. I did enjoy the show at the Marriott more for the venue than anything. The Marriott is a beautiful piece of property. My husband and I enjoyed the scenery as we had lunch there outside.

Back