Tucson 2014

The GIA party is always on Friday night, so it will be held on February 7th. None of the other information is up yet. I can send Elisabeth an email and ask her if they have set a date and time for her. :)

That's just AGTA. There are many other shows that start earlier and end later, but the main ones are during those times.

I hope to learn some stringing and other techniques from you all in your copious free time as you stalk the pearls. Plus the list of tools and where to get them. This is going to be soo much fun!

I'm confused. What is/are the shows that we go to with P.-G.? The AGTA has a student membership which is the same price as a guest ticket. Does that get us into the relevant shows, or does each show charge its own admission? (I've finished the G.I.A. e-course on pearls, now aiming for the pearl grading lab course.)

There are many shows, but the PG gang will walk AGTA, GJX and Pueblo. Here is the link to the whole enchilada http://www.jewelryshowguide.com/

Each show has different requirements to get in. You may have an easier time getting into AGTA on-site with a resale/business license and business cards. If you pre-register, you must send proof of $5,000 in repeat orders from jewelry suppliers (last time I checked). Or, if you are actively enrolled in a gemology course, you can get a student badge (plus $50.00) see American Gem Trade Association Tucson Trade Show page for requirements. Once you get into AGTA, you can usually get into the other shows by showing your AGTA badge. http://www.agta.org/tradeshows/gemfair-tucson.html

Elisabeth Strack told me that she is speaking on Wednesday, February 5th at 9:00 a.m. I am not going to be able to get into town in time to go as I don't have enough time to go that early in the week. But if you will be there, she always gives a very informative talk and she can answer almost any question. :)

Okay, to clarify - now you have to become a student member of the AGTA to register for the show as a student. A student membership to the AGTA is a great deal. $50.00 a year and they will send you a dvd of the seminars after the show. It would be worth registering for an online course with GIA just to become a student member. :)

To add to Gem Geek's post about the student membership, if you are currently taking a G.I.A course and apply for the AGTA student membership, not only is it good for the current year, but for the next 2 years!

I just booked our flights coming in on Tuesday, leaving on Saturday. We are at the Arizona Inn!
Fantastic! My favorite place in Tucson. It's also where I think Whicker might like it the best, too. Very near the show, separate casitas and a four star at least restaurant.

I have been offline in a computer crisis. I tried 8 computers and sent them back before I got the right one. My emails went up on the first three or so, so got lost......

I've got a screamer now; terrabite harddrive 16 gb memory. 3++ ghz processor.This fastest most powerful I have ever owned. I have all my emails hooked up and stable. Whew.

Anyone thinking of coming to Tucson, let me know on this thread, or by PM, and I will answer your questions and accommodate you while you are here, as much as I can.

Hi all! I just got back from a month in Bangkok and Bhutan. No pearls in Bhutan... But, I AM coming to Tuscon, Tuesday through Saturday and hope to see anyone there. Of course I will be at the Straack lecture and the ever-fun Pearl Walk. Getting ready.

Who is coming to Tucson? I'm figuring out hotel/car reservations. It is much more fun to have comrades in crime! I want to meet you all in real life. :D Any great ideas for side adventures? I'll be meeting foxhunting friends in Phoenix, too. ( They chase rabbits with beagles in the desert, dodging sagebrush and cactus as they gallop. Should be a hoot.)

There is a pearl grading course 9-4 on Feb 7 in the GIA lab at the fair. Does it conflict with the PG events? Please would you give me the calendar of the PG events? (I'm giving P.G. higher priority, :D)

That would be on Friday the same day as the GIA party that night. So arrive Tuesday, go home Sat? Strack, pearl walk, and p-g dinner are on Weds. 5th.

Back