TracyG

TracyG

IMAG0842.jpg ok im not sure if i got the pics to show....Egad!! IMAG0839.jpg

Last edited:
Tracy, Welcome!

I copied your question from the other post: "wondering the value or any info of an old pearl necklace that i inherited about 34 years ago. not sure how to post a pic of them though."

Please give us a little more information, please, as follows.

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

Can you answer #'s 1, 4 and 5?

Hi pattye thank you for replying. im going to try and upload a couple more pics. heres the info i have for the necklace. its 22 inches long, its a graduated with the smallest pearl being 3mm and the largest being 7mm, its gritty when rubbed on teeth, the clasp says 14k with an "S" stamped next to it. i inherited them about 34 years ago, they belonged to what i believe was my mothers aunt but i have no history beyond that. 10-F5D67AB6-915349-800.jpg10-F421A217-830928-800.jpg11-F5D67AB6-915349-800.jpg11-F421A217-830928-800.jpg12-F5D67AB6-915349-800.jpg12-F421A217-830928-800.jpg101-31811561-915349-800.jpgIMAG0845.jpgIMAG0846.jpg

Lucky you!

You have a "3.5 momme" cultured akoya (saltwater) strand, which were sold in Japan during WWII and Korean War eras to the many servicemen (and others) working there, who brought them home to their sweethearts.
The name refers to the weight (pearls being sold by weight)-- the strands were affordable because, being graduated, they were not so heavy.

Many of these strands have beautiful nacre. Pearls were left in the water longer in those days and built up thicker nacre.

I have a few of these strands which I restrung and wear. See stringing instructions stickied on the Lowly Beaders Club forum!

Thank you so much for some history on these pearls. i can only assume that my mothers uncle had bought these for his wife.they passed away when i was very young so my memory of them is slightly hazy. do these pearls have any value or have they aged too much? also wanted to thank you for referring me to the site on restringing them. i would love to wear them cuz they are beautiful but never have since the string is pretty old and kinda dingy looking lol

Restringing them should be a fun adventure. Beautiful pearls. :)

Thanks GemGeek . i also have a nice pearl and diamond ring from my grandmother, think i could get any info on that if i post a pic. its a 7mm pearl with a small diamond on either side. looks like the mark on the inside says 10k with ws stamp. maybe thats a makers mark?

IMAG0843.jpg101-55257E93-905982-800.jpg ok heres the ring although the inside stamp isn't too clear. it says 10k and stamped ws inside a crest looking design.

Yes, that would be a maker's mark. Possibly made for the American market. It is probably an akoya pearl, but hard to tell as the photo is too small to get much detail. The pearl is glowing, :)

Tracy, I used 10# (quite fine) white Power Pro to restring my 3.5 momme strands.

Many of us have begun using Pattye's Serafil thread (sold by Pattye on Etsy) or Beaders Secret thread (sold in the Etsy shop of the same name) to string our pearls. I don't know how it would work for those very small end pearls though.

Last edited:
Great! Thank you all so much for your help and excellent info. I find it very cool to know something has an interesting place in history. Sorry about the photos im very new and not sure what im doing lol. wish me luck on restringing considering i"ve never done that before.

Back