Tony Duquette & Hutton Wilkinson Jewelry

BlackPearlDudeDC

These two guys were never ever shy when it comes to "BOLD and BIGGER is BETTER" jewelry, but this ring was very interesting. What are your thoughts?

https://paddle8.com/work/tony-duquette/26039-cluster-style-pearl-ring

or these earrings:

https://paddle8.com/work/tony-duquette/43524-pair-of-earrings

and this necklace (Btw their book is really interesting)

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?blobcol=gfile&blobheader=image%2Fjpeg&blobkey=id&blobtable=GIA_MediaFile&blobwhere=1355961495346&ssbinary=true

I love the ring, although it might be uncomfortable to wear. I could see using it as inspiration for a pendant or enhancer though ... a baroque Tahitian with little keshi pearls all snuggled cozy around it, sparkled with some gems ... sigh ...

I am sure it is the same necklace. The link in my post was an after the fact picture from the GIA exhibit. I confess I browsed the book first, and because I had seen Hutton on HSN selling sheets while flipping channels, I thought I was isn't that "him"?

Ah, knew I'd seen that necklace somewhere else, or are they just similar? I prefer the coloration shown in GemGeek's photo, and that is my favorite of the items. I greatly admire designers, artists and artisans that push the limits.

I would have loved to get a set of those HSN malachite sheets, but the feedback said that the color rubs off. At the GIA museum exhibit opening party, they had malachite curtains installed on the entrance to the rotunda for the big reveal. They were something like 11 feet high with gold fringe!

Thanks for validating me I am glad I am not the only that likes Malachite.
I am on my third piece now. Though I tend to be too rough with it, and it gets obliterated :(

I would have loved to get a set of those HSN malachite sheets, but the feedback said that the color rubs off. At the GIA museum exhibit opening party, they had malachite curtains installed on the entrance to the rotunda for the big reveal. They were something like 11 feet high with gold fringe!

With the new format of the forum, I can post a larger photo.

gia pearls 2.jpg

There is no subtle! :)

So far nothing they've created "jewelry-wise" seems subtle to me :), though subtle is subjective in viewing Hutton's penchant for large (Very large) rings, which by the way I'm not hating…(Anyone viewing the Men's Bling on PS can attest to that LoL)

…and you have to admit it may not be to everyone's taste, but it certainly is creative. Lets see two gems from the ocean, paired with one gem found in meteorites (Olivine/peridot)…creative right :)

With the new format of the forum, I can post a larger photo.

View attachment 35982

Busy is a really good word…there is not denying the creativity though. Wearable art I guess. It does take a lot of self confidence to pull that off, or it is a great way to distract ones attention. Wasn't it Sonja Henie that said " Jewelry takes peoples mind off your wrinkles" or something like that :)

BPDDC,

This wreath piece is interesting also in its color combination, but somehow busier in detail and so less appealing to me personally. (I have a couple of fun skull pieces I wear in the fall, so that is not necessarily a negative in itself.)

The pieces are certainly busy in design and an enormous amount of work..terribly creative .. but I had a good deal of fun going through all the stuff that sold at auction. I was surprised at how WAY over estimate most of that jewellery sold for...I know nothing about auctions like that..but it seemed surprising.

Auction estimates for jewelry are based on the intrinsic value of materials and doesn't take designer, historical value, etc in consideration.

Busy is a really good word…there is not denying the creativity though. Wearable art I guess. It does take a lot of self confidence to pull that off, or it is a great way to distract ones attention. Wasn't it Sonja Henie that said " Jewelry takes peoples mind off your wrinkles" or something like that :)

I need more jewellery ......

Back