to glue or not to glue?

SunSeeker

What are your thoughts on using glue on strands knotted with Pattye's Beaders Secret or PowerPro? Is it really necessary if I am back-knotting through 3 pearls? Does it really add to the overall strenght of the piece? If not, it certainly makes life a lot easier when disassembling a piece! Thanks!

Hi SunSeeker, This is a great question, I am excited to see what people prefer, and I am looking to try pattye's beaders Secret. With thread I usually go back through 4 pearls, and Then add a dab of Clear Nail polish to seal that end....I find nail polish keeps a bit of flexibilty and does'nt "Crust" the way glue does, & easier to cut if need be. But I know some people do prefer glue, in any case adding some sort of finish is always a good measure. :)

Last edited:
This is a good question. I use a tiny bit of glue or nail polish on the thread coming out of the last bead. Once dry, it is easier to get a clean cut and discourages that little end from working it's way out of the pearl. A thread burner also works well with Beader's Secret and power pro.

Nail polish it is. The girl's at the local ******** used to get a giggle out of me requesting it but, my client's have never complained about a tied stand.

Thanks, folks, I was forgetting about nail polish being an option, which I haven't tried yet. Brenda, do try the Beader's Secret thread; it's much softer on the hands than Power Pro, and comes in a ton of gorgeous colors. But for pieces that require added strength, I would use PowerPro

I haven't glued with Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret, just back-knotted through 3 pearls.

Last edited:
What a useful discussion! When I first knotted with silk I was rather insecure and used too much glue. Then I learned to just put a tiny dab between the threads, let it dry and trim. I often come back through 4 pearls with Beader's Secret, and the fit is snug, still I use that dab of glue or clear nail polish on a toothpick. (Tradition and habit, I guess.) Seems unlikely the end of the thread would ever work itself out.

Thanks for the tip about the thread burner, Marianne, one of those gizmos around here someplace~

Yes, I use the Thread Zap too. Runs on a AA battery (which, however, needs replacing often.) This gadget is great for Power Pro as well.

I generally back-knot 2 pearls, pass the thread through the third and snip it off. The loose end has never come out whether I use Power Pro or (once upon a time, silk) and there is no place for for glue or nailpolish as it is inside the pearl. I think glue or nail polish is unnecessary with some threads, like power pro, and adds a bit of stiffness as does going back through too many pearls. Whereas one knot may be vulnerable to coming undone, two knots is plenty for security. That doubled thread really shows, so why make it unnecessarily longer than what is needed for security?

I am clumsy, but never had one I knotted come loose at the end knots. I bought a zapper, but found i didn't NEED it. I can't see how it adds to the strength and it is just another unnecessary gadget- like the tri-cord knotter, tweezers, or an awl, are. Good technique makes everything but a needle and thread, scissors and little clamps (to keep the pearls slipping off the thread before being knotted) unnecessary.

How many knots does Hisano back knot? I would take whatever she does as the professional standard. Take a look at your Pearl Paradise strand. How many back knots does it have? My Tahitian strand only has one backknot and a dab of nail polish. I use two lknots and slide the excess thread through a third with no glue, but obviously one back knot with glue is all you need- if using glue.

I back knot 3 pearls as a rule. I do use the zapper from time to time as it's easy to cut the thread really close , the only problem I've found with it is the burn mark on the burnt end of the white thread. I use the GS Hypo glue as it's slightly rubbery and that little teeny needle nose is great for getting into the tiny spots.

So right, Katbran. I only use the zapper on darker colored stringing materials. It is especially useful with green power pro in a tight space! (my little manicure scissors were really taking a beating)

I don't seem to get burn marks from the Thread Zap on white Power Pro, but I did when I used it on silk.

That makes sense as silk actually burns. Synthetics just melt :)

I recently bought a thread zapper to cut PowerPro (hadn't thought to use it to secure the thread ends), as I haven't found any other tool strong enough to cut the thread. So please forward a link to any scissor that can cut that stuff because I have dulled all of my cutters! I suspect since PowerPro is a little stiffer than silk or Beaders Secret, that is has a tendency to stay put, inside the pearl, without adding glue or nail polish. But I am curious about whether glue or nail polish is needed when using other threads. (I really struggle with applying only a teeny-tiny drop and not seeing it drip onto the pearl!)

Sunseeker,

Perhaps you'd be willing to experiment without adding glue or nail polish on a strand you wear yourself, and report back. I'm willing to do this, too, and take some photos! I don't ream out the end pearls, so the thread is a snug fit. Recently I have been using an exacto knife or razor blade to cut the thread ends. VERY CAREFULLY.

Try at your own risk! Wrap thread ends around your finger, and hold that end of necklace between thumb and other fingers, creating strong tension, make sure the blade is only touching the thread ends and gently cut right next to the pearl. I'll hopefully post some photos soon. Make a few samples to practice this technique on!

Blessed are you that can see well enough to knot without glasses or visor or other type of aid. Highly recommend some kind of magnification~at first I used strong readers and now eye dr gave me 3.5x "craft" glasses for all my knotting and jewelry making. I figure if it looks good under magnification, it will look even better to the naked eye.

One technique simply doesn't work for all; appreciate that we can openly share ideas on this thread.

I don't find that the finishing knots (really half hitches) with Beader's Secret are particularly large or stiff.

Thank, Pattye, challenge accepted! I will also try the razor technique. I also avoid reaming out the end pearls if at all possible, so the fit is snug and probably helps keeps the threads in place. By the way, I started wearing eye glasses about 10 years ago (near and far sighted) and use those in addition to a magnifier to work. ..oh well

I have several pairs of super-high magnification reading glasses and the strap-on visor with extra lenses and I have a big swing-arm halo lamp with magnification. Having some choices about how to go back and forth makes it easier for my tired old eyes! :)

I recently bought a thread zapper to cut PowerPro (hadn't thought to use it to secure the thread ends), as I haven't found any other tool strong enough to cut the thread. ...

A simple X-Acto type razor knife works great on Power Pro, too. These are found everywhere hardware or crafts are sold.
Or even just a single-edge razor blade.

A razor or X-Acto knife is espcially good for cutting apart strands to re-knot. Razors being thin, they fit easily in tight places better than scissors do.

I use a drop of nail polish but still find the end tends to slip out from the last pearl I pulled it through - perhaps because I ream the last pearls... On the other hand I can't get the thread through if I don't ream. Thankfully I only string for myself but the bit of strand usually sticking out still annoys me a bit.

- Karin

Back