Thought and Guidance on multicolor Tahitian Pearls Part 2

Rkas

Well I was very excited about the information I was given in regard to finding and purchasing a multicolor Tahitian Pearl necklace. I had referrals of three companies and Wendy posted a necklace that replicated the types of colors that I had seen and wanted. I thought I was going to have one or two that I liked and would be able to share the next part of my buying journey with this forum, but it appears I have run into a brick wall. So far two of the three companies have told me they don't have the ability to do this now and they don't know if or when they will. The final company says they'll get back to me but has indicated that I should look at AA grade rather than AA+ or AAA. This is confusing because when I spoke with the person at PP they indicated that I should be looking at AA+ or AAA to insure uniformity of shape and reduce imperfections. I know many people are purists, looking for the same color Tahitian pearls, but I think the multicolors are very pretty and that if more people saw them they would become just as desirable.

So I have come to a significant bump in the road of my Tahitian pearl journey. Does anyone have suggestions? Is there some other vendors I should speak to or should I bag this experience and point my energy into another direction? Oh I should tell all what exactly I am looking for. I am looking for the multicolors like the necklace Wendy sent in my first post (Thoughts and guidance on multicolor Tahitian Pearls), round pearls, 11-13mm, necklace size of 16.5". I am under 4' 11" and always have to shorten everything.

All suggests and input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Rkas

I purchased my multi colors from The Pearl Source, he has large round pearls on his website. I am sure PP with their huge inventory could make you one.

I completely agree with you about a multicoloured strand! Don't change your mind!

- Karin

Honestly, the size of the pearls that you want in AAA might be what is tripping suppliers up. Larger Tahitian pearls are usually the result of second graft techniques. This means that the farmer implants and harvests one pearl and then reimplants to harvest a second larger pearl in the future. The problem with this is two fold. The oyster has aged a lot during that process and the resulting pearl is frequently more blemished and less lustrous than first graft. Moreover, to get especially larger pearls, the farmer has to allow the pearl to develop for a longer period of time which increases their risks and the costs of production. It is my understanding that this second force has made it harder and harder to find especially large AAA specimens.

All that being said, your project is not an impossibility but it may well take a seller a while to collect the necklace in the quality you are looking for. It might be worth working with a seller and give them a longer timeline so that they can collect exactly the necklace you desire. Alternative, I've purchased round pearls in AA/AA++. These Tahitians do have the occasional divot but their roundness, amazing overtones and luster result in the eye not being drawn to those imperfections.

The pearl source has about a dozen strands like you want. I am sure Pearl Paradise can custom make you anything you want. They haven't been stumped by my requests yet. Much of their inventory is not on their website.

First of all thank you for all your input so far. The first company I contacted WAS Pearl Paradise. I love the education they provide on their website & youtube and this forum consistently touts them as having an extensive and high quality inventory of pearls. The person I speaking with, although very nice, simple said they couldn't do it try back later. I was surprised. There was little explanation or alternatives provided. I haven't seen Jeremy Shepherd posting lately. I wonder if he is away for business or a convention and I was possibly speaking with a new employee with little experience.

As far as utilizing The Pearl Source, I read on one of the posts that they were possible using the same picture for different strands or using stock pictures. There was also a post about them being an anonymous owner who owned both The Pearl Source and Laguna Pearls and I think I also read a few posts that were not happy with their quality once they arrived, so I was very apprehensive about buying their product.

Naria the information you gave me was very helpful in my further understanding of Tahitian Pearls. I am still very interested in a multicolor Tahitian necklace and although I have run into some difficulties, I'd love to be able to move forward and buy my first beautiful strand.

As always, all guidance and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rkas

Last edited:
That would be very helpful. How would I email you directly?

Rkas

Yes I will definitely post photos and tell about the experience. So far what I have seen and learned is beautiful and fascinating.

At a time when when terror can rear it's ugly head during gatherings of health and inspiration, sharing, education & passion is so important.

Creativity, sharing, beauty and love, sounds corny but I think that is why we are here. It is the best of us.

Keep you posted and hope to share soon.

I am looking forward to seeing your Tahitian strand as well. A multi-color Tahitian strand is on my short list to purchase.

Also praying for everyone affected by these tragic events this week.

I am with you on loving the multicolored strands! Can't wait to see photos of the strand Jeremy put together for you...please share when you can!

Back