These Pearls make me feel Warm & Fuzzy

I just checked Strack. You are right in that she lists the coarseness of the aragonite platelets as a factor for satiny luster. She also lists the platelets as .5-1.5 microns. This does not seem to mesh with your info...

The water temperatures do make a difference with Akoya. This is why the are harvested in the Winter and lowered in the Summer.

I do remember reading somewhere that warm waters have more available nutrients and that these nutrients favour the formation of more conchiolin. And that this also makes for a satiny looking pearl.

Slraep

Dream on. Those spondylus are not 200BC and they probably weren't buried either. They probably are spiny oyster, but that is not a color the I ever saw in Chimu spondylus beads.

Hi Caitlin,

They didn't actually say they were buried. I just presumed they must have been in some manner if they were that old.

I did manage to get a copy of the other necklace that I won for $15 but they won't send because it didn't get to the price they wanted :rolleyes:

Let me know what you think of these. I just liked the look and my top bid was only $18 so I was surprised when I won them for $15. Still I am very unlikely to get them.

Description was 200 BC Pre-columbian Necklace Spondylus.has the original cord

I do like to dream ;)

Bodecia

Attachments

• won this for $15.jpg
    won this for $15.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 45
Bodecia said:
Description was 200 BC Pre-columbian Necklace Spondylus.has the original cord

... how about original manufacturer's guarantee?

Fibers more than a couple hundred years old just do not happen. Not that there is much danger in that, just hope though, that grave robbers' fortunes didn't plunge that low yet... to sell their wares so cheaply.

That is a better picture. It is spondylus. But there were no Chimu in 200BC. Google it. The Chimu lasted from about 1000AD to about 100 years before the Inca took over. That's about 200 years before the Spaniards came. Therefore the seller was b-sing, probably using the same line as was used on him to get him to buy.

I would have thought Pre-Columian goods were illegal to sell on eBay. I always thought the beads I sorted and strung were either illegally removed from Peru or recent imitations of the old style, which I call "originales" as a joke. Some farmers will tell you their goods are "originales" so you will buy them. They are. Originales made by the seller. :rolleyes: The genuine old ones have a kind of 'chindi' vibe. Or as Valeria said, "grave robber's goods".

So there you are; they are either fake or grave robber goods. You are probably better off without them!

Last edited:
Back