The Thread Thread

Hi Raisondetre, I totally agree with Susan that Power Pro in most cases IS THE BEST you can use

1) because the knots are so dainty and the line will go through almost any drillholes and

2) no more need to use glue of any kind, because now you use the "Thread Zap" by The Bead Smith as it will melt the knot "together" nicely. The important thing though is to have a fresh battery so the zapper gets hot enough to melt the threads fast.

I have lots of silk spools in every imaginable colour but I am now reverting to Power Pro even with the smaller pearls so I don?t risk to get glue into my pearls.

Powerpro comes in sizes from 6lb-8lb and 10lb which are all good for tiny pearls to 20lb and 30lb for most average pearls and large pearls 11mm and up. the 30lb is 0.011 in diameter and the others are smaller though I don't have that info handy.

I've just finished stringing the Josh keishis and semi-baroques necklace using Dandyline.
I used the 20lb. weight, and found it very easy to use - it looks and feels like silk, and the drape is good.
Because they are keishis (I presume) the necklace needs to "settle" a little, as the drape isn't as smooth-flowing as I'm used to.

The Dandyline is a tad bulkier than Powerpro, so I had to ream the end few pearls in order to double back.
But overall I'm very impressed with it.
It is very strong, and supposed not to stretch - even when wet.......
So thank you Caitlin, for the heads-up. :)

I saw a Mikimoto bracelet this past fall that was designed for breast cancer awareness month. It was white akoya pearls strung on pink silk. It was the "Everything is possible with hope bracelet." The pink was subtle and I thought the simplicity to the design was gorgeous. I have been stringing pearls for a little while now and it got me thinking about using colorful silk that contrasts with the pearls as part of the design, but I just haven't really gotten it right. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

BTW- Sueki- I am in love with that last necklace you posted. It is beautiful.

-Jacqui

Thanks Pattye! Wow! What a site. She has beautiful pieces on there. She does have some examples of use of different colored silk. That is helpful. I am going to poke around a little more on there.

Thanks again-

Jacqui

Check your local sporting goods store in the USA for Power Pro supply. Sports Authority also carries them in various weights and colors. The big plus is you don't have to pay shipping and handling.

fine thread for natural pearls

fine thread for natural pearls

For years we have used "O" weight from Holland thread company. Pure dye machine silk. We don't do many natural pearls lately but I know my mother had 'OO"
and "OOO". If the real fine is not available try untwisting the thread and remove a strand then with bees was very lightly draw the remaining two threads through the wax ONLY ONCE. To much wax is no good one draw will aid the stringing 'adventure'

I believe that using stiff wire with a natural product is treason and beadlon borderrs on that. Pearls are all natural to some extent and to use anything but thread is a travesty.

pearlman

knotting

knotting

No matter what method of knotting you learn, I do not recommend you insert awl or tweezers into the knot and slide the knot with them- it is too awful to do that on 45 pearls then have the knot slide off and tighten too far from the bead!

I agree!! if you use a tool and TWO threads you only need to gently pull each simultaneously in opposite directions to tighten. You can add leverage by using the thumb knuckle as leverage.

pearl-man:rolleyes:

double back through

double back through

Hi Raisondetre,
This is just my personal opinion, and hopefully some of the knotting gurus will be along later, but I reckon silk size E is (or knots up at) slightly thicker than Powerpro 10lb. weight.
The disadvantage with silk in this particular instance is that it is fibrous and therefore can end up thicker when knotted (and when doubling back through the end beads).
Powerpro stays smooth and compact.
This is just my personal opinion based on my experience using both types of thread.

Morning...Cut out a strand one or two beads before you go back through and you will have no problem doubleing back. Strength decrease is not an issue cause the item is only a necklace and not used to tow cars.

pearl-man

Funny! Good suggestion though; it could largely eliminate reaming!!

I personally don't need pearls strong enough to tow a truck (tee hee) only strong enough to survive when it is yanked. I have yanked more than one strand of pearls off, by accident.

I dislike clam shell fasteners because they yank off easily, so I avoided them for years. They have actually developed clam shells that work much better. They have two sides connected at the bottom and at the top has two holes, where you pull them together when you put the clasp or jump ring through. This way you can end a thread without the passing back and forth through the clasp. All you need is a good knot and probavly glue to make this the easiest and very strong way to attach pearls to the clasp.

Knotty mentioned this some time ago, but it got lost in some thread-but she actually knows what they are called.

Ok Our firm has knotted for 100 years my mother learnt from her aunts born in 1910's. I had to learn when I flunked out of UW. We use no tools just as Caitlin says.
At the very least use real high quality Stainless steel darning needles. So not use for glue or anything else.
Polish on 1200 black emry paper if necessary. SMOOTH!
This can be used to slide the overhand knot up using 2 strand of #D,E,EE,F SILK Thread. Two strands allow us
to pull each one [if necessary] to tighten the knot. A needle allows us to slip it into the knot and loosen if it is not tight. And retighten. If you are left handed you can not hand knot...you must use a knotter or pull up the knot with a needle. TWEEZERS are too rough. and not thin enough. If you do gold work your nails are too black.
Finger tips must be clean and silk must be used. Japanese silk is better than Italian silk being made with longer fibers. If you want more info e-mail me. Between myself, my mother [deceased] office personel and 3 outside stringer we have over 200 years of experience.
We learn everyday!!!
PM
PM

I would suggest that the use of a tool or not really depends on the technique the knotter has learnt - there skill level - and personal preference.

Needles -tweezers - and other knotting aids do have a valid place
But of course you match the tool to the job - I think you would agree that the tweezers in this photo are definately smooth enough - but considering that the thread (No4) is many times thicker then the tip of the tweezer they wouldnt be my first choice.

Tweezers.jpg

I use tweezers extensively - but I do have to admit that they arent\werent tweezers intended for stringing - I "borrowed" watchmaking tweezers from my dad once they had reached end of life for his needs - like the ones in the photo they are nicely rounded without harsh edges and reasonably fine pointed (not to the extent of those in the photo)

When using two strands the technique mentioned is quite viable - but it isnt practical when using four or more strands - which is how I often work.

In knotting - like life - the one unchangeable rule is that all rules are subject to change.

Regards
Bernadette

needle

needle

I use a very fine long darning needle to hold the knot

Wendy,
I found one of your older posts about using darning needle. I have followed your advice and have been using it faithfully. It is a life-saver. :) I find it worked well for me. I started my first strand with a large sewing needle.

The finer the better. It does influence the size and snugness of the knot. Glad I could help.
The needles do give up and break after a time though, all that tugging and shoving. I broke one this morning.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread (!) for me but I have tried Dandyline and Pearlsilk but I still love the final feel of using natural silk. I have been using Gudebrod Brand Silk but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Is there any other brand that someone might be able to recommend. I am new to pearl stringing and finally thought that after many trials and errors I was onto something I was happy with but I can't find the silk string I got used to. I'm feeling quite sad as I have depleted my supplies from all my practice stringing and I'm feeling like I am at the beginning once again.

Recently knotted up a custom strand with heavy duty Gutermann 100% polyester thread purchased from a sewing shop, so apparently widely available. Cost is approx $1.75-2.00 for a 30m/33yd spool. Made in Germany, and comes in a decent range of colors. Used a double strand on these approx 10mm freshwaters, and it was easy on the fingers (I don't use any tools) and strong. Am thinking it will be a good substitute for the silk we are unable to source. Has anyone else knotted with this brand thread? Works out to approx $.06 per yard.
IMGP2761_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Pattye,

That is a very pretty necklace!

Fun stuff.

Cheers

Back