The Silk Challenge

The pearls fared better than than the thread. To my eye the knots look the same, but the macro view says they are a bit roughed up. But this was far more intense wearing than anyone gives their solid nacre pearls. So, don't worry about it, your CFWP will hold up great. They are tough and resilient and actually love water.

Someone want to try that with silk? Or linen? Or Griffon. (lots of colors)I'll put this back on for another year, if someone wants to test silk against powerpro on some inexpensive, but pretty fw's?.

You know I have been recycling since 1971, and for many years disdained plastic items and always tried to get something not plastic. So, it was cotton, silk or sinew for me when it came to beading thread.

I really did not lighten up on this ideology, until I tried to knot the infamous "Lumps of Coal Necklace" These very rough, round, dyed black pearls of 14-17 mm stretched the silk. I just saw a photo of it today, maybe on this thread?

Thanks for the compliments! I loooove the colors although they appear darker in the pictures than in real life. More blue and greens in person. They were advertised as 7mm and best I can measure with my cheapy plastic mm measurement tool from Michael's, they are, indeed 7mm. Wish I could get some more!

Caitlin -- Yup, the lumps of coal do appear in this thread. Did you ever re-string it? I understand your comment regarding plastic and have had an ever-so-slight twang of guilt re: Power Pro. But heck -- I've wasted more Griffin (and money) through breakage while stringing then I care to admit. I guess one can say I'm a "hard stringer." (I must be honest and admit I did break Power Pro once while stringing -- but only once!:eek:)

Gotta say I think Power Pro wins hands down.:D

Are baroque cultured pearls hallow?

Are baroque cultured pearls hallow?

Hi everyone,

While trying to knott two graduated strands of south sea baroque cultured pearls I found out that the biggest ones in the middle, 13mm,
made a rattling noise. Like the implanted bead banging on the nacre.It was very difficult to pass the needle through.
Could baroque cultured pearls be hallow?
I would appreaciate your imput.

Akoya

Hi Akoya,
Yes, I've had akoyas, South Sea and other bead-nuked pearls where the bead is loose inside the nacre.
The pearls aren't hollow, but the bead has spun around so the drill hole no longer lines up with the hole in the nacre.....
Very frustrating... :(
But I've always managed to re-align it (takes a great deal of patience).

This was discussed on a thread here somewhere, and Jeremy wrote that he's come across the same thing too.

Yes, it has happened to me too. You have to sit for as long as it takes with a fine needle waggling it in the hole, feeling for the rest of the drill hole. You need to sort of tip toe the needle point round, and use it to 'walk' the nucleus around until you get the two to line up (oh the joy) - remember to then leave something right through that pearl so you don't lose the drill again.
Mind you, with now having a pearl drill as well, I could just zap another hole through the nucleus!
It is a bit like feeling around for the end of a loo roll when some idiot has just ripped off the paper right at the roll inside the holder (why do women do that?)

Thank you Sueki, Pearlescence,

I was indeed frustrated trying to find the hole of the bead.It was my first time coming across this problem.I will search for Jeremy's post for reading more on this matter,
I do appreciate you kind support.

Akoya

Back