The Pearl That Started My Compulsion

Luvglitz

Fifteen years ago, my husband and I took a cruise that visited the islands of Tahiti. While in Bora Bora, I bought one pearl. This pearl started my pearl mania. I knew very little about Tahitian pearls but wanted to start with a single pearl to use for the centerpiece in a ring. I bought a baroque peacock pearl for this project. I remember that in the showroom the pearls were handled with chopsticks. I wanted to use my fingers to pick up the gorgeous pearls. Anyway, this is the pearl and the ring my jeweler made for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 23
That is certainly striking. I would not have guessed the pearl was baroque, though...is it a drop?

Beautiful ring luvglitz, it's so substantial! The yellow gold compliments your Tahitian nicely.

Fifteen years ago, my husband and I took a cruise that visited the islands of Tahiti. While in Bora Bora, I bought one pearl. This pearl started my pearl mania. I knew very little about Tahitian pearls but wanted to start with a single pearl to use for the centerpiece in a ring. I bought a baroque peacock pearl for this project. I remember that in the showroom the pearls were handled with chopsticks. I wanted to use my fingers to pick up the gorgeous pearls. Anyway, this is the pearl and the ring my jeweler made for it.
i like that mounting too.... my mom had a ring with shrimp like ridges, with three white pearls, the largest in the middle- (when dad did something big wrong, mom got jewelry- he must have really been in trouble to have got her that one)

Thank you, everyone. The sad thing is that I seldom where the ring because I am so worried that I will slam the pearl accidentally.

Thank you, everyone. The sad thing is that I seldom where the ring because I am so worried that I will slam the pearl accidentally.

maybe then reset that pearl and put something else in that setting?

That's a great way to set your fabulous baroque pearl. If you decide to reset the pearl perhaps you might want to consider the style of Hisano's color shifting pearl ring? It's one of those purloined pearls.

As I've gotten older, I have become philosophical about the risk of damage. Nothing lasts forever (including us) so we may as well enjoy our beautiful things while we can. And it's not like you would wear the ring while housecleaning, gardening or any other high-risk activity.

It's true that rings and bracelets are more prone to being damaged than earrings and necklaces, but pearls are pretty tough (if whacked) even though they are soft and easy to scratch. Toughness and hardness are not the same thing. (Jade for example is very tough even though the hardness is only 6.)

When I began to get better pieces of jewelry, i made a 'deal' with it. I vowed to enjoy the beauty of the pieces for as long as I have them and not regret if they decide to leave me. As I have since lost several pieces I really cared about my resolve has been tested :) But I prefer to risk that to it sitting unused in a box.

- Karin

i'm trying after all these years to use the 'for special' stuff
i do use mom's china, often.......... but i haven't been using my good jewelry ....although in my defense, the studio is not the place for anything that could get caught on something (nor are poultry pens)
but i'm trying to remember, beings i'm out of the habit, to at least put earrings on
and you folks keep me resolved

Back