The mystery of the pearl bracelet

pearlcon

I tried to post this earlier but it disappeared. Sorry if this is a duplication. Summary of post below:

Bought pearls from Bangladesh for family and friends. Fav piece was a black pearl bracelet I paid around $40 for (Australian). Then saw similar bracelet at a Brisbane jewelers marked for $3000. On ebay similar pearl necklace is only a few dollars.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AA-8-9MM...51?pt=AU_FashionJewellery&hash=item20d42752bf

Seeking some clarification for the lovelies on this forum. Did I get ripped off in Dhaka or did I buy something at a much cheaper price?
picture.jpg
photo.jpg

You bought a different type of pearl. The bracelet you bought in Bangladesh is composed of dyed, Chinese freshwater pearls. The eBay auction seller you linked to is a fraud - those pearls are also dyed Chinese freshwater pearls and not Tahitian pearls as described.

The bracelet you're seeing for $3000 is the real deal. It's composed of true Tahitian pearls.

I wouldn't say you were ripped off unless you were told the pearls were something other than what they are.

Good answer. Until you have experience seeing a lot of pearls, it can be hard to distinguish Tahitian pearls from the pretenders. That is a sweet bracelet you have. :)

You have to look at quite a few pearls before you can easily see the difference. You are not alone in being confused ..many people wouldn't know that they are two totally different type of pearls . Many pearl sellers on eBay use "Tahitian black " to describe the black dyed colour of freshwater pearls and to confuse people into thinking that the item is a real strand of Tahitians.

You bought a pretty bracelet for $40 and it's a nice souvenir ... So wear it and enjoy it !

Back