The " If only" thread...

Snow rose: this particular conch displays a rare effect like a star sapphire or star ruby. In a conch, the seller called the effect a snow rose. I love the name.
Thanks, totally beautiful name and ring.

Here's the rest of my list, which shows that I don't have any chance of getting over my "pearl problem."

1. (previous) Diamond rondelles between strand of Sea of Cortez.

2. Flawless 10mm round tahitians in green peacock.

3. *natural* colored coppery brown tahitian strand, perhaps with green overtones (I have a ring like this, but can't find a strand or bracelet.)

4. Huge white SS pearl choker (think Wilma Flintstone).

5. Very blue and very green tahitians mixed with emerald and sapphire links...drop shaped. With a big diamond or emerald enhancer.

6. The finest strand of round freshwaters available with intense orient (perhaps Freshadama?).

7. A HUGE lot of tahitians in all available colors and sizes and even grades on my workbench so that I can design whatever strange and unusual piece crosses my mind at the time.

I must say that as long as I can remember, I've had a terrible materialistic hankering for this item---the Thurn diadem. It's not too big, not too small, just the right size for wearing to friends' tea and crumpet parties. I think I could even get away with wearing it with a pair of jeans. Or sitting in a deluxe beach chair on deserted Surfside Beach in PEI, reading a book, looking out at the sea, and sipping some fresh celery-apple juice. Maybe even playing a game of golf(I hate golf, but I'll play if I can wear the diadem)at the posh Rodd Crowbush Resort next door. Oh, Oh wait. I forgot, I could wear it around the house on bad hair days---would cheer up the(almost daily)Fed-Ex and UPS delivery guys coming to my door. See, very versatile!

Attachments

• diademe.jpg
    diademe.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 41
  • diademe2.jpg
    diademe2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 39
  • diademe3.jpg
    diademe3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi Slreap
Maybe we can start a trend in crowns or whatever those are called. I really think wearing such an item would change our consciousness and the wand that comes with it ---well, using it would reverse pollution trends.

Steve
Maybe we can explore that group purchase!
The pearl I have in mind is probably about 5-7 carats. Tom was offered $16,000 for one of the finest pearls in that lot ( My wild guess is that it is about 30 carats.). He turned it down because the GIA certification was for the entire lot.

Last edited:
Steve
The pearl I have in mind is probably about 5-7 carats. Tom was offered $16,000,000 for one of the finest pearls in that lot ( My wild guess is that it is about 30 carats.). He turned it down because the GIA certification was for the entire lot.
That's a bit more than an oil well (I might have a pearl or two to show the same gentleman, by the way?). It's good to keep these pearls in perspective?I wonder what La Peregrina is worth these days?

That's what I was wondering. I mean, a price like that at auction would more than double the world auction record for natural pearls, right? Seems strange he wouldn't simply recertify the rest . . . .

Perle

Sorry
It must have been $16,000. Duh!!! I'll change it above. ( I suppose I will just have to live with the embarrassment of you quoting me) I am remembering parts of conversations and did not take notes, so I am likely to get more things wrong.

Apparently, he sent so many pearls so get certified, they were joking that he was clogging things up- and indeed- he said it took a long time to get his pearls back. I think groups of them were certified in lots. And he has many more pearls to send and maybe just he was not looking forward to repeating the process with the same pearls before the others are even done. That was what I got out of the conversation and body language, anyway.

As I said earlier, he is selling some keshi to favored friends, but intends to hold off selling any of the pearls for the time being. He was just indicating to me what someone offered. He is new to the trade of pearls and the certifications and appraisals are part of a process which is now unfolding. Pearl-Guide just happened to get in on the story before it is done, because he posted here. Several of the biggest names in pearls were at his booth this year and I predict he will make it into the AGTA show next year, if that is what he chooses to do.

In any case, do not expect bargains for any of these pearls. He is learning pearls so he can do the best by his adopted Borneo family and their constituents. No peasants selling to the big city pearl shark -ER- dealer, here. (shades of Steinbeck and Scott O'Dell)

In fact, I encourage P-G members to google him and post questions in his thread. and follow his links. The link to the sultanate of north Borneo (called Sabah) is very interesting. This part of Borneo island is looking at Palawan in the Philippines and seems far far the capitol of Malaysia- the ruling country.

Last edited:
It must have been $16,000?I'll change it above.

Apparently, he sent so many pearls so get certified, they were joking that he was clogging things up- and indeed- he said it took a long time to get his pearls back.
Everyone makes mistakes, so this will give all of us one or two more in the bank?

In any case, this certification business is a bit overdone. My advice to Dr. Stern, as a businessman, would be to offer 'conditioned upon natural certification' and certify them one at a time with money already in hand, if even necessary. And should he sell to Bahrain, they XRay everything anyway (and crush to smithereens all imposters).

Okay, now we're talking! Steve, you want the $16 K one for your Poe Io Mata Nui? :) Maybe Caitlin would take hers, I'd find one . . . how many are there? :)

Just kidding - I guess he's not selling yet. :) Back to the wishlist . . . .

Perle

Okay, now we're talking! Steve, you want the $16 K one for your Poe Io Mata Nui? :) Maybe Caitlin would take hers, I'd find one . . . how many are there? :)

Just kidding - I guess he's not selling yet. :) Back to the wishlist . . . .

Perle
Not so fast?there would be good economic reason for taking that pearl (assuming it is a good choice from a design standpoint), as it would increase the value of the necklace by at least the pearl's purchase price. And I'd even offer to pay the $75 (thus outbidding the prior offer;)). On top of that, we'd gain a 14mm SS drop pendant, pearl appraised at $4500. As it is, the SS constitutes what is known in the trade as a 'poison pill', serving to make the necklace unattractive to the natural pearl market.

Now see what happened because I desire a most rare pearl? I will move the further discussion from this thread to another later, but to continue:
In any case, this certification business is a bit overdone. My advice to Dr. Stern, as a businessman, would be to offer 'conditioned upon natural certification' and certify them one at a time with money already in hand, if even necessary. And should he sell to Bahrain, they XRay everything anyway (and crush to smithereens all imposters).

I am sure that is fine advice, but the use he was explaining to me was that some of the (golden and white) rounds needed to be certified as natural so people would believe it. They are huge. Also, as I explained in another thread, he uses the certifications to convince the people bringing pearls in, that he only wants naturals and, indeed the proportion of naturals to cultured rose substantially after that. People are now bringing in Tridacna pearls-- remember they share the waters with Palawan where the gigas grow. They are also reporting pearl oddities, all of which Tom must check out individually.

Why would they bring in cultured pearls- how did they get them? I have no clue because I heard that Jewelmer (and other big holdings) have armed camps where their cultured pearls are grown. This part of Borneo is apparently known for natural pearls. Also Brunei is right next door, so maybe they will have to bid an outrageous price to get them. Who knows? But I am staying tuned.

I will most likely move it because it does add to the unfolding story of these natural pearls on their way to the market

As Strack said in her lecture last Saturday, "You must understand natural pearls if you wish to understand cultured pearls." In fact, that was the leading sentence. Since we used to average about one, "My grandmother just died and left this strand of natural pearls" then the pearls turn out to be cultured, if not fake.........I think having pictures of naturals of all kinds is really educational.

Caitlin, I hope the fishing for these naturals is being done with care. I hope this is not a case of some remaining precious patches of wild stock oysters being plundered without thought to sustainability. How are they harvested?

As for the Tridacna g. pearls, again, how have these been harvested? Coming from a species that is endangered, I find them to be a curiosity, yes, but not something to be marketed because that encourages poaching. You cannot tell a 100 yr. old Tridacna pearl from a recently harvested one.

Slraep

I am interested in pearling methods and that is a good question for Tom.
I think many of them are old pearls. I think these pearls are coming from individuals, families, Tom said he, "put out a call for pearls" and people started bringing them in.

He sorts the cultured from the natural and tries to identify what is brought to him. He has been brought 10 or so Tridacna pearls. These did not all come out of the water since he put out the call.

If the citizens of Sabah are harvesting wild t gigas, then maybe this board can help educate Tom on what to be saying to the people and families that bring these in. Maybe among his humanitarian works he should sponsor the cultivation of t gigas with sustainable methods..

Also he should find out what methods are used for finding new pearls. North Borneo has not really had accessible pearl information before Tom. As I say, I am following the story.

He is from Berkeley and can't have escaped the politically correct environment there! He wouldn't have had his practice there, if he hated it, because Berkeley is the most PC place anywhere I know of. He retired as a surgeon after 33 years and has since devoted his life to humanitarian projects, especially for Sabah citizens. The pearls are a sideline that developed from people asking him where/how they could sell their pearls to their advantage and the advantage of Sabah- not some foreign Company. Or some pearl shark from Brunei. (I made that last part up, but it is logical)

Did I forget to put a diadem on my list? Oh dear, I'm such a silly panda!

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Slreap
Maybe we can start a trend in crowns or whatever those are called. I really think wearing such an item would change our consciousness and the wand that comes with it ---well, using it would reverse pollution trends.

You've busted me Caitlin. Yes, it's actually the power, er...I mean "wand" I wand to wield!! Muahahahaha(I keep stealing that, Blaire)!!! But wouldn't it be great though---a magic wand that comes with a pearl diadem that comes with a conscience. Don't know if I'd make a lot of things appear, but I certainly would make a lot of things disappear. Well, I might make ONE thing appear: a natural fancy red coloured string of quite big pearls. And maybe more pearl diadems(hi, Knotty).

Slraep

All m'ladies in maille deserve a scepter. :)

Wow. Sad.

The Strack book looks really interesting-- if I hadn't just spent so much on a certain private offer I'd be buying a copy right now! :p That purchase will need to wait a few months, I think!

Back