Tell Me Everything About Wires and Crimping Beads!

BWeaves, good questions. The twisted surface is both inside and outside the tube and that it helps grip the wire. I checked by "feeling" the inside of a crimp with a head pin-- I can feel the grooves. (I looked with a loupe too but couldn't see it well enough.)

I've never had beading wire come loose from Twisted Tornado crimps. They are very secure.

I took a photo of a flattened Twisted Tornado crimp so you can see how it looks.

Amti, here is a photo of the 3mm-7mm vintage strand I restrung with 10# Power Pro. The knots are not large or ungainly between the small end pearls. (Please disregard the huge gimp loops...I stopped using that brand of gimp after that as it was too stiff.)

I would back-knot 3 pearls instead of 2 to be safer, especially if you decide to use Serafil or Beaders Secret, which is a bit more slippery than Power Pro.
attachment.php

Attachments

• flattened Twisted Tornado crimp.jpg
    flattened Twisted Tornado crimp.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. It's been years since I've used crimp beads, but I have some coated wire and a couple crimp beads still in my beading stash. I used them when reworking crystal necklaces, and I have a couple of my grandmother's crystal necklaces from the 1920s that need restringing. Now I know what to order. Thanks!!!

Thanks ladies. I'll check to see what size wire fits those little bitty diamonds, and find out how dumb I was .... ;) Not a Gellner idea, just wanted to use between Tahitians for a bit of sparkle, interest, and a tiny bit of extra length. I think the stones are way too small to wire wrap.

Thanks for the info everyone. It's been years since I've used crimp beads, but I have some coated wire and a couple crimp beads still in my beading stash. I used them when reworking crystal necklaces, and I have a couple of my grandmother's crystal necklaces from the 1920s that need restringing. Now I know what to order. Thanks!!!

Please post neck shots after you finish!

Thanks ladies. I'll check to see what size wire fits those little bitty diamonds, and find out how dumb I was .... ;) Not a Gellner idea, just wanted to use between Tahitians for a bit of sparkle, interest, and a tiny bit of extra length. I think the stones are way too small to wire wrap.
Cathy, depending on how many you have, you might want to consider making a cascade cluster with them, especially if the pearls they are going next to are significantly larger. Are they center drilled or top drilled? I'd love to see a photo of the pearls and diamonds together.

Thank you JP and PD, for the advice and pictures. PD, I guess I'm not wanting to knot all those tiny pearls for someone else. lol I guess it is time to have a knotting party at my house and teach people to knot their own pearls. ;)

Back