Tell Me Everything About Wires and Crimping Beads!

amti

I know nothing and would like to learn!

My mother's friend asked me to repair her broken strand of vintage akoyas. These are super tiny so I was going to use wire with no bumpers. It is a graduated, unknotted strand with the largest pearl about 6mm. Would wire be the way to go with this or do I need to knot?

I have several small spools of wire in different sizes and colors given to me from another friend, so I need to purchase the crimping beads but not sure what sizes to get. Is there a ratio to stick with or just anything larger will work? I also have a crimping tool/plier.

TIA!

I would not use wire on small akoyas. You might get some drape with #10, but it is still wire. The vintage graduated strands used end cups and were only knotted between the last 3 or so pearls. I would keep this profile. #40 Beader's Secret should work nicely.

You would only need to knot between the end 3 pearls.

I used 10# Power Pro when I restrung my two vintage akoya momme strands. I found this worked fine even with the end pearls which were 3mm. My source: http://www.artbeads.com/bf28wh06.html

I suppose you could use beading wire (a twisted multi-ply wire with a clear nylon coating), but it would be harder on the edges of the drill holes of the pearls over time. Given that these are vintage akoyas, I would prefer to use thread, personally. It would also look more professional and more like what a vintage strand would have looked like, since beading wire is relatively modern.

Edit: Marianne is right about the drape.

I've only used wire and crimp beads on glass or stone beads. I don't think it feels right for pearls. I also vote for using thread (Beader's Secret) and either use end cups (which always look cheap to me because they always tarnish) or just knot between the last 3 pearls on each side (my prefered method). It won't look weird because it's a graduated strand, so the clasp will always be in the back.

The knots will be tiny when you use a very fine thread, so BWeaves is right, they won't look odd.

Ok, thank you. I'll stick to stringing with thread with gimp. I'm not sure what size the the holes are and haven't started anything, but I hope they aren't too small!

Can you still tell me what size crimp beads I need for wires? I have some spinels I purchased a while ago that I need to do something with, and think wire would be the way to go with these.

My favorite crimps are the twisted/tornado crimps. They are widely available, I believe. Here's the selection at Artbeads.com.

Sometimes wire and crimps are the only way to go. The 49 strand drapes the best and is softest. The nylon coating protects gemstones and pearls from being abraded by the wire. But I agree with the others, go with thread or powerpro if possible. If that doesn't work out, then wire and crimps as a last resort.

The size of a crimp bead needed depends on the thickness of the wire, which will be stated on the label on the spool.

Like Pattye I prefer Twisted Tornado crimps. You don't need crimping pliers; just flatten with pliers.

Okay friends ... what would you advise for a mix of Tahitian pearls and tiny diamond beads? Yes, I was dumb and shopped at the gem show ... but they were so pretty ...

Well, first of all, I'd check the size of the hole in the diamond beads. The few I purchased awhile back are very tiny. And holes in mine are not consistent in size, ugh. You may need to use wire for this combo. Are you wanting that Gellner look? I've wondered if they had the diamond beads custom drilled with larger holes than usual.

Some of those diamond beads will not even accept 28 gauge wire! Ask me how I know :( There are likely a slight variety of sizes of holes in the diamond beads. It is a matter of trial and error. You might be able to wire wrap if the holes allow.

..if the pearls are really tiny up near the clasp and you think that the knots look too big then you could try not knotting the last 2 inches and then pick up the knotting through the bulk of the necklace. Just a thought.

Yes, it does. There are 95 pearls in this 16 inch necklace and the pearls start at 3.42mm. I am leaning towards knotting just the first two pearls on each end, like it was done originally.

My wire ranges in size from .24mm to .5mm and was purchased in Japan so the sizes might be different. Are these normal sizes? It looks like 2mm is the smallest, so that would work for all my wire? Do you recommend a crimp cover too? I purchased some ends that guide the wire around the clasp rings a while ago, so I have those. The reviews on the twisted crimps are wonderful! I will definitely give them a try. Thanks, Pattye!

Last edited:
I have a stupid question. What's the point of having a twisted surface on the crimp bead if you're going to smash it flat (or round, depending on your crimping pliers)?

Yes, it does. There are 95 pearls in this 16 inch necklace and the pearls start at 3.42mm. I am leaning towards knotting just the first two pearls on each end, like it was done originally.

My wire ranges in size from .24mm to .5mm and was purchased in Japan so the sizes might be different. Are these normal sizes? It looks like 2mm is the smallest, so that would work for all my wire? Do you recommend a crimp cover too? I purchased some ends that guide the wire around the clasp rings a while ago, so I have those. The reviews on the twisted crimps are wonderful! I will definitely give them a try. Thanks, Pattye!
I always use crimp covers...and I also use wire guards. They help to keep the wire from rubbing against the components in the clasp and attach rings.

I have a stupid question. What's the point of having a twisted surface on the crimp bead if you're going to smash it flat (or round, depending on your crimping pliers)?

Not a stupid question at all! I have some of these in 14k and they are great for super tiny wire...I think it's difficult to keep that really small diameter wire straight...this avoids that problem by creating a twisted channel (at least that's my theory).

Back