Tahitian Pearls Engagement Ring - Durable

Yeah Caitlin I think so, really like the tahitian pearls. Although the Akoya or Natural are nice also I just think the blackness of the tahitian pearl really stands out against the silver, and I just love the overtones on the tahitian especially the green.

Do you have other suggestions for a pearl/stone?

Hi Kizzy,

This may be somewhat counterproductive as you are considering one of our pearls and our settings, but a Sea of Cortez pearl might be a good choice for you. It is so much more rare, can look very similar to a Tahitian, but it would be much more durable as the average nacre thickness on those pearls is double that of a Tahitian pearl.

I agree, The PP setting is classic, and simply beautifull. It's a winner! I too agree with Jeremy, the SofC pearl would be a great idea, especially for an engagement ring. It's rare, distinctive, and mostly durable. The only downside would be the cost if it's an issue... A Kamoka pearl would aslo be beautifull!

I'm already engaged, but all these pearl/sapphire rings are so gorgeous! The Pearl Paradise Bonnie Collection ring looks so classic and beautiful. Sea of Cortez pearls are stunning as well and their rarity makes it seem like the perfect pearl for an engagement ring. I can't wait to hear what the OP decides on!

Hi
I bumped into this post with a mention on The Natural Sapphire Company . Thought off putting a caution note
Few days back I had too finalise a purchased from The Natural Sapphire Company but research on the net revealed that The Natural Sapphire Company is receiving flak for its shoddy merchandise from customers
Especially for photoshopped images and overpriced jewelry. You may check out posts on
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/col...phire-company-photoshoped-images-t157769.html
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/col...for-the-natural-sapphire-company-t159500.html

You may also Google for ?The Natural Sapphire Company complaints?

David
I like the earthiness and simplicity of the kojima peal styles and that would be a lovely choice. I would like to put one other option on the table if you would be interested in a non-blue sapphire ring. I was looking on the natural sapphire company website and they have a really nice selection of natural sapphires that have not been been treated at all, not even heat--just cut and polished. The come in almost every color. I saw this nice lime green 1ct sapphire that is vvs1, transparent with excellent saturation and vivid color. I tout it would look nice in a halo setting, but since the stone is gorgeous with sparkle, you could also save a few Cents and go for a Tiffany style setting, without side stones. It's a fun site to play with too, o you may want to check it out for fun. The prices aren't bad. If you on't mind heat treated stones (which is almost every sapphire in the market), similar looking stones are available for about half the price or for the same money you can get a similar stone in a much larger size. You can get the sapphire in any color--yellow sapphires are almost always the least expensive. Anyway, here's the link: the setting: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompan...l3RL+NRs9YRpdsKaXuE1UCvuY5CoJ08Y2EUUTwSlyQw==
watermark1.5.aspx

And the stone: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Unique/Oval/Stoneid=U3474
watermark1.5.aspx

Thanks for the tip. I never bought anything from them so I can't comment one way or the other. I know they have been around for a while and a few negative comments aside, I was told they sell nice quality gems but they charge for it. My post was just to provided an example and reference to a site that illustrates options. There are other very good, reputable sites and seller's out there.

This is precisely why we rarely talk about other gems, here. We don't have the expertise to tell whether a stone site is any good or not. Thanks for that correction and I will add any caveats in any further threads that go this way. I think we can follow up on the pearls remarks, and, if anyone knows sapphires, maybe mention them, but otherwise, maybe skip offering comments on anything but pearls. This thread is a first to do that and probably one of the last.

I am not a member of pricescope because I am not into jewlery except pearls, but suggestion like this should probably go to pricescope, where they focus on stuff like that.

Hi
I bumped into this post with a mention on The Natural Sapphire Company . Thought off putting a caution note
Few days back I had too finalise a purchased from The Natural Sapphire Company but research on the net revealed that The Natural Sapphire Company is receiving flak for its shoddy merchandise from customers
Especially for photoshopped images and overpriced jewelry. You may check out posts on
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/col...phire-company-photoshoped-images-t157769.html
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/col...for-the-natural-sapphire-company-t159500.html

You may also Google for “The Natural Sapphire Company complaints”

David

Great tip David - I was not interested in getting a sapphire, only Pearls for me, but certainly for anyone that may have happened upon this thread it is great advice! Always have to be cautious I think when buying online. That is why I joined Pearl-Guide, to get some good, sound advice on the how to go about purchasing a pearl ring and some great advice on reputable retailers and farmers. Everyone has been soooo helpful!

Kizzy- Please let us know what you decide to do! I would add the details about how you propose and your fiancee's reaction (unless you prefer to keep it private of course)! As you must know, we would greatly appreciate PICTURES when the time comes!

My first Tahitian pearl ring got visibly scratched pretty fast. But my Eyris Blue Abalone Mabe Pearl ring, worn daily for years, has to be viewed with a ten-power loupe to see the tiny little scratches. Pearls can be tough and take impacts, but my favorite Paspaley South Sea Pearl ring got a chip out of it in the first month of use. It's hard to tell how each individual pearl will wear, although I agree with Jeremy about the potential of Sea of Cortez pearls (and they are incredibly beautiful). Untreated natural pearls tend to wear very well. Caitlin's family has a gorgeous natural pearl ring that has been worn for over sixty years.

I think you should get the setting and pearl that you like the best and just assume that you will have to replace the pearl periodically. It could be fun, and maybe a way to celebrate anniversaries! :cool:

P.S. Wood is great for occasional wear, but it could be a disaster as an engagement ring. If he has his heart set on wood, the best way to go is with wood inlaid into a metal band.

Last edited:
Tahitian Pearls Engagement Ring - Durable

Pearls are for tears, the old legend says, but some would gladly take the sorrows of life, with it's joys.

I think whatever you chose, it will be, uniquely, both of you.

Blaire, I scampered as fast as I could to your album. The blue abalone pearls are a sight to behold! The depths of such blues.

And a shame aabout your Paspaley SSP ring (still looking lovely on the album); anything that can be done about that nick or chip as you call it?

Back