Tahitian Pearl Nacre Depth

T

TievoliJewelry

From what I have understood the Tahitian Pearl Ministry regulates and monitors the quality and the quantity of Tahitian pearls exported. The pearls must be x-rayed, and the nacre muset be atleast .8mm around at least 80% of the pearl. But in the last issue of GIA's 'The Loupe' it states that the nacre must be .08mm covering 80% to pass.
Is this a mistake on GIA's part? This seems much, much too thin - like a 6-month cultured Akoya.

We just received a new issue of Loupe and it is indeed a typographical error. They mention it in the new issue as a correction.

I do not agree that .8 is an acceptable depth. Yes, the pearls look good and are less expensive when they have a thinner nacre, but is is really worth the cost. How many of those pearls crack when drilling? I always want to know the average depth before bidding on a lot. I think it makes a tremendous difference in the long run.

I definitely agree! I believe that minimum nacre thickness requirements should be stricter in general. The life of the Tahitian pearl is compromised if the nacre is too thin even if it does look good. If someone is going to make an investment on a nice Tahitian strand, it should definitely last a lifetime and this may not be the case if the nacre is too thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back