Size of Nucleus

i just posted a photo of some unpolished nuclei on the cracking pearls thread. talk about multi ouch!

Pearling Technologies said:
i just posted a photo of some unpolished nuclei on the cracking pearls thread. talk about multi ouch!

And I just posted to the cracking pearls thread! How coincidental.

Slraep

About glued nuclei: I would surely use them if they were cheaper. Years ago I did a test where I filed x's into nuclei then grafted them to see if I would have x's on my pearls. Guess what? No x's.

I guess i'm a little surprised re the 'X'. We had done quite a lot of research on nucleus quality including surface smoothness. We disected many pearls that had flaws and could trace many instances back to nuclei surface.

in saying that we also did some tests with bironite and found that nacre covered the bironite nuclei infinitely faster than mussel shell nuclei. We believe that it may have something to do with the surface composition.

Josh said:
I might have to redo the test with :)'s carved in with a Dremel.

Watermarked pearls? Monogrammed mabes?? :p

That sounds better then the carved pearls - at least the nacre surface is all there.

(guessing that the effect will be a slight depression on the pearl's surface over the engraved lines, if those are wide and deep enough to show through the layers of nacre).

Back