Show us your beads, please

I NEVER get complements on her designs. People all think it's store bought! The only way I get a complement is if I flash it their face and boast -- I MADE THIS! Same thing with my pearls, it all looks store bought. Only when it's obviously one-of-a-kind do I get a complement. Won't they love Venus Rising?

Well, the people I made them for live in a small town, and most jewelry is very unoriginal. I know her designs are standard fro chainmaille, but still a rare sight in my hometown. I think the fact they they are made to fit also plays a factor. So often bracelets are sadly one size fits all. Since I (and my mom) have tiny wrists, most slide right off us. :mad: I think if it were the necklaces, they may go more unremarked upon for some reason. Maybe I just don't see many bracelets back home, so they tend to stand out.

About the Venus necklace, I love the european 4 in 1 weave for a collar, but that one isn't my favorite. I saw another one with pearls I preferred, I think it was for someone's wedding. But it is a wonderful necklace., even if not to my taste. I think it would certainly get a lot of notice. ;)

On the sideline a bit...

Maille remainded 'mesh' and then one rather nice interpretation from a jewelry designer: Amy Draper.

Perhaps the pieces there are not anywhere intricate as far as maille-making goes, but they seem nice and definitely wearable. Not many pearls around - all for the better ;) (i.e. leaving room for development, that is).

Can you see this with pearls incorporated? I just might:

large_96.jpg

Thanks for the link Knotty. Interesting designs.

Ash, I thought about the extreme chafing problem you bring up with the 'kini. Ouch ouch. Maybe with pearls incorporated, they would act as somewhat of a buffer, them being slightly raised compared to the chain maille.

Ana, I usually don't care for the loopy jewellery now so popular, but that necklace is very nice. Better with a sprinkling of some pearls, for sure.

Slraep

Slraep said:
Ana, I usually don't care for the loopy jewellery now so popular, but...

Same here. That one caught my attention because of the 'randomized' maille look...

Btw. Would something like the gold mesh in the picture below still be considered maille / chain-mail? Would you know how the weave might be made? The style is still being hand-woven in Anatolia and elsewhere in the region. Examples are dated anywhere from around 1400 to present, without much of a difference showing at all.

hashirorgurw1.png

Hi Ana,

Those are really in the "woven" catagory or "tissage". The strands of gold are quite long and are manipulated like braiding hair.

Chain maille uses short strands made into interlocking shapes to form a body.

Slraep

Back