Should I Make a Rope Necklace or Will it Damage My Pearls?

Gemandpearlover

I have a double strand of (32 inches each) and an 18 inch strand of blue akoyas. I was planning on re-stringing them into a rope necklace. Will this damage the pearls when wearing them? The pearls are in excellent condition and I don't want to damage them.

Thanks!

Oh, how lovely and luxurious a long blue akoya rope will be, Gemandpearlover!

Do you mean damage from having the pearls touch each other when wrapped around your neck multiple times? If so, they will be fine. Make sure any clasp is smooth. Blue akoyas may be even tougher than white akoyas because of receiving less or no treatments, as in no bleaching. The main damage to pearls comes from hair spray, perfumes and such chemicals. (I have to be careful not to get my ropes in the salad dressing, lol, vinegar is not good for pearls!)

Are the clasps the same so that you can connect the strands to make a rope? That's what I do. Then I still have the separate necklaces, as well.

Thank you Pattye, Cricketbug and ennui. Pattye- I was worried about the pearls rubbing. With your advice that will not be a concern for me. Ennui- the clasps are not the same. One is a very ornate vintage clasp which I will use and the other a plain gold fish hook clasp. Wish me luck. :) IMG_0567.jpg There are over 200 pearls (8mm).

It's done! I am going to take ennui's advice and put an orbit clasp where the vintage clasp is now located. I took a loupe to every pearl and decided to not use 10 of them. None of the pearls looked worn but some had areas around the drill holes that I did not like, or these pimple like growths on the pearls. I think the ones that had issues near the drill holes were probably the most baroque of the strand and the little tails might have gotten broken at some point? Or they were drilled at the tail and the holes were larger? The strand is now 74 inches long. I used Beader's secret mist color from Pattye, and it worked wonderfully.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

IMG_0583.jpg

You look absolutely regal!! One gorgeous rope! Congratulations !! Delighted to know you had a good experience with the thread, too! I do love that amazing clasp; what if you just turned the whole arrangement so the clasp lay near your collarbone instead of centered?

Thank you Pattye! I think I ruined the clasp. It had one pearl that was damaged. I wiggled it and it came off- metal post and all. Right now I have a pearl glued to where the original pearl was. Do you think the jewelry cement will keep that pearl on, or will it most likely fall off? I do like the clasp.

Gosh, that's unfortunate. If the current pearl falls off, you may be able to find a skilled jeweler that can use a laser welder to attach a new post. This tool solders so quickly the whole item doesn't heat up. Is there any way to use a fine wire to attach the pearl through some openings in the base?

Gosh, that's unfortunate. If the current pearl falls off, you may be able to find a skilled jeweler that can use a laser welder to attach a new post. This tool solders so quickly the whole item doesn't heat up. Is there any way to use a fine wire to attach the pearl through some openings in the base?

Thank you for the advice Pattye. :) I do have a great jeweler who can do this for me. I am also considering replacing it with an antique brooch.

It looks beautiful on you, Gemandpearlover! There are so many ways you can wear this; it's wonderful.

Very elegant indeed. Hope you will be able to get that clasp repaired because the look is wonderful!

Oh, that's gorgeous! The pearls look round in the photo so I didn't realize they were baroques. Unfortunately, the tails on baroque akoyas do tend to break off over time from wear. I have had to scrap a few pearls due to the same thing. I do love baroques though. They seem to have more colors than round pearls. Glad you have a jeweler who can laser weld the clasp peg and reattach the pearl. I used a laser welder in my jewelry class to attach a backing to an old filigree earring that I made into a ring. It's a really neat (and probably very expensive) machine, but it can do wonders!

I love what you did and the clasp is perfect. I like it centered just how you are wearing it. It looks great on you. Hopefully it can be repaired by your jeweler. What a great job!

Oh, that is spectacular! Wear your new creation in good health. It's gorgeous!

It turned out beautifully and the clasp really adds to the look. Hope you can get it repaired.

Wow, a stunning rope, well done, love the clasp - more photos please!

Back