Sharing one of my projects

Thank you Pkinnew, CathyKeshi, Ckrickett, and La_corsetiere.

CathyKeshi, some pearls I purchased drilled and some pearls I drilled myself.

Now i have some pictures. Sorry I can only manage to take pictures with my phone today. I will take pictures with a better camera and all my other projects when i'm done.
ombrerope2.jpg
ombrerope1.jpg

Attachments

• ombre.jpg
    ombre.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
WOW! That is absolutely stunning, Bailey! Oh my, I want one, too!!!

Great job. You did great going the ombre route. It's a beautiful piece. Good job knotting your first project. What color is your thread?

Beautiful, and you can't beat the satisfaction of designing, selecting the components and creating a piece yourself.

Thank you Tucs, Cathy, Hanaleimom, Ckrickett, and Kelluvpearls.

Hanaleimom, i use grey silk. I initially used white silk but after restarting again all I had left was grey or white powerpro so i decided to go with the silk. I like grey or a darker colour silk with tahitians.

Well done, Bailey! And your use of the grey silk is a winner :)

Excellent job and what an outstanding strand! I really think you'll get a lot of wear from this and what a thrill knowing you did it yourself!

Dear Bailey,

What a beautiful necklace you have made, well done! You have inspired me with your creativity. I am new to the forum and am so impressed by the beautiful creations that people share here.
What sizes generally are the pearls, and how long did you make the strand?

Marianne

Boy we have some really good first time knotters lol I'm embarrassed that I was so terrible haha You did a great job and the necklace looks wonderful. Isn't it a good feeling to have spent all that time collecting the pearls and then finally getting to put it all together..very satisfying. The Ombre look is really good on that strand as well !! Well done !!

As for the knotting..I have had the thread break at the needle (and I've had the needle eye break as well) so that I was left with two separate strands. I put a needle on each one and just proceeded on threading first one through and then the next ..then tying off the knot as usual. I finished the whole second half of a rope (it's always a rope..lol ) twice now using the two needle method. Just something to keep in mind :)

As for the power pro..you just use it like any other doubled thread ..knot the end..string the three pearls (drill them out a bit so they take the extra strands of thread when you go back through) then the gimp..then the clasp ..then back through the pearls pulling the gimp and clasp in...then just knot the three pearls. Cut the original knot , trim the thread and just start adding the pearls and knotting. Watch the knotting videos...Wendy has one that is close up on her website I believe.

Thanks Marianne, Pkinnew, Purrly and Katbran.

Purrly, welcome! The pearls were from 7mm-14mm (keshis to long circled drops) and the rope is 40" after knotting. One realization i made from doing this project is that i don't like big pearls in a rope, too heavy! I did have an extra 8.5" of bigger pearls unknotted that i decided to put aside for another project.

Boy we have some really good first time knotters lol I'm embarrassed that I was so terrible haha You did a great job and the necklace looks wonderful. Isn't it a good feeling to have spent all that time collecting the pearls and then finally getting to put it all together..very satisfying. The Ombre look is really good on that strand as well !! Well done !!

As for the knotting..I have had the thread break at the needle (and I've had the needle eye break as well) so that I was left with two separate strands. I put a needle on each one and just proceeded on threading first one through and then the next ..then tying off the knot as usual. I finished the whole second half of a rope (it's always a rope..lol ) twice now using the two needle method. Just something to keep in mind :)

As for the power pro..you just use it like any other doubled thread ..knot the end..string the three pearls (drill them out a bit so they take the extra strands of thread when you go back through) then the gimp..then the clasp ..then back through the pearls pulling the gimp and clasp in...then just knot the three pearls. Cut the original knot , trim the thread and just start adding the pearls and knotting. Watch the knotting videos...Wendy has one that is close up on her website I believe.

Thanks Katbran! Oh, i would be embarassed too if i was knotting it for somebody else. I know i missed a knot and i finished the rope after the first pearl after the clasp instead of the 3rd or 4th (got lazy). It looks like a mess (i got too generous on the glue) but oh well, i will fix it next time. It is a good feeling seeing as I could have knotted this a few months ago but i procrastinated. It was too overwhelming to think about, such a daunting task.
Thanks for the tips. :eek: I hope it doesn't happen to me.
I love Wendy's video. i like how it's focused on her hands, easy to see how to knot the pearls. I ended up using her video on the beginning and end of the rope but used beadaholique's knotting with tweezers. Using a needle to hold the knot wasn't working for me it felt like i had two left hands LOL

Thanks Marianne, Pkinnew, Purrly and Katbran.

Purrly, welcome! The pearls were from 7mm-14mm (keshis to long circled drops) and the rope is 40" after knotting. One realization i made from doing this project is that i don't like big pearls in a rope, too heavy! I did have an extra 8.5" of bigger pearls unknotted that i decided to put aside for another project.

Thanks for explaining about your necklace. I hope one day to have one half as lovely :) Is is really great how everyone on the forums here are supportive of other peoples' finds and projects . Seems like "pearly" people are nicer than ordinary folk!

Did I miss this great thread first time round??
Fantastic rope, Bailey, enjoy!

How did I miss the photos of the completed project!! This is a gorgeous necklace Bailey...I love your eye for color on this piece. I am in awe that you can both drill and string...as I have a talent for neither. Wear the necklace in very best of health, always!

WoW! That's beautiful! How long did you collect the pearls to make the necklace? I've been thinking of doing something similar and the only way I could probably afford a long Tahitian necklace would be to do it myself.

Thank you JerseyPearl, SunSeeker, and Amti!

Amti, I guess I've been collecting for almost a year. I did have an 18" multicoloured that I incorporated into this strand. I only really wanted a 36" harvest strand but i didn't realize i collected for a total of 56" inch knotted :eek:

Back