Seed pearl/tiny pearl stringing: thread or wire?

jesskat

Hi, all!

Would love some input from the experienced beaders here: when creating torsades from 3-4mm freshwater pearls, and when creating a 54" rope of similar-sized pearls, what would you recommend to string, thread or wire for the best kind of drape? If thread, how often/where would you knot?

I'm trying to decide how to do up two Christmas presents and am in a bit of a freeze as I'd like to only have to do them once if possible because of so many tiny pearls!

I've done strands with those pearl sizes and I've used #40 beaders secret and knotted either every 3 or 5 pearls. I've used bead wire too, but with pearls that small you need to get the 49-strand bead wire otherwise it'll be stiff and not drape very nicely. I prefer thread to wire. Hope this helps.

Agree with MSC. #40 Beader's Secret (which is actually Serafil sourced for us by Pattye since 2012) @ PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com is just right for small pearls. Even the finest beading wire does not give as nice a drape.

Last edited:
I agree with MSC and Marianne. I prefer thread over wire, because the drape is so much nicer.

Jesskat, you may want to do some experimenting with both wire and thread to see which you prefer. Most likely an 0.8 mm hole will work with a doubled thread of #30, or possibly 2 doubled threads of #40. With the 0.6 mm, probably #40 will give the look you want.

You might find one of the 49 strand designer wires maybe size .015 in or size small will work up faster. Please do let us know how it goes!

Thanks, everyone, for all their recommendations! I've got 49-strand wire, so I'll test that out, and hopefully can get my hands on some 40# shortly :D

Back