Sea Island Pearl Necklace

momsjewel

Am hoping to get help identifying type of pearls in this old necklace and an idea of any value. The box they came in says Sea Island Cultured Pearls and the clasp is marked 10KS. The pearls are nice and round with the biggest measuring about 1/4" or 6.6 mm. Are these south sea pearls? Thanks for any and all help. Great site and forum.
sea island pearl necklace in box.jpgsea island pearl necklace close 2.jpgsea island pearl necklace clasps and mark.jpg

At first glance, they look like freshwater pearls. Try giving them a quick cleaning by wetting your hands and running the strand through your hands. Then gently wipe them dry with a soft cloth. Then take another wonderful close-up so we can get a better look. They do appear to be round. :)

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I did as you asked and am sending along more images. I am amazed at the knowledge on this forum.sea island pearl necklace whole good.jpgsea island pearl necklace whole good 2.jpg

I thought they looked like a vintage graduated strand of cultured akoyas (which are saltwater pearls.)

With a good cleaning and restringing they could be highly wearable.

Last edited:
I agree with Pearl Dreams - now they look more like akoya pearls, but the black background makes it harder to see any variation so that they almost look artificial. They are too small for South Sea pearls. To gauge value, try doing a search for completed sales of vintage akoya pearls on ebay. Be sure to use the word vintage or you will get a lot of other results.

How did you come to get the necklace? :)

Sea Island Pearl Necklace

I agree with Pearl Dreams - now they look more like akoya pearls, but the black background makes it harder to see any variation so that they almost look artificial. They are too small for South Sea pearls. To gauge value, try doing a search for completed sales of vintage akoya pearls on ebay. Be sure to use the word vintage or you will get a lot of other results.

How did you come to get the necklace? :)

I bought them at an estate sale quite a few years ago. I started buying some pearl jewelry (that I could afford) a while back and have learned 'a little' about pearls. But most of the pearls seem to have non round shapes or marks on them. This necklace has more rounded shaped pearls.

Thanks for the information - the more I read on this site, the more I am learning!

Pearl Dreams, they are so lovely! Thanks for the link to your thread.

Yes, these older akoyas did have thicker nacre.

momsjewel, give them a proper bath if you haven't already. Soak them for 10 minutes or so in warm soapy water-- use a mild soap, not detergent (or use baby wash if your home has hard water, since soap and hard water combine to make a hard to remove scum.) Then wipe them clean, using a swab between the pearls where it's hard to reach. Rinse, pat dry and have another look, this time against a white background. I think you may find them a lot more lustrous.

Back