Scallop Pearl

Lagoon Island Pearls

scallop06.jpgscallop07.jpg

Here's a splendid 2.1 ct. natural pearl retrieved from a Purple Hinged Rock Scallop (Crassodoma gigantea) here in British Columbia.

Although slightly more opaque than the Nova Scotia scallop pearls presented to us by Pierrette last month, this piece has many of the same features.

As usual, my macro photography doesn't rise to the level of our friend Steve's, but does reveal the moon-like characteristics within pearl. What is harder to see in these images, is the noteably thick clear outer surface, as though it was encased in glass. When viewed with a loupe, there is a bright orange flame within the edge of the horizon.

Definitely a rare find.

Last edited:
Great find. It seems like some of the techniques I've developed for 'Nautilus' would work here. Something I don't think I've ever mentioned elsewhere is the same glassy encasement, creating a smooth surface through which the occasionally fantasmagorical pearl structures are seen. This applies as well to excellent examples of other types of non-nacreous pearls.

Need to look into this!

Look forward to seeing that pearl at some point. Late July in Lagoon Island?

Will check in at the Ruckus thread and coordinate.

Great pearl! Maybe you can get Steve to get a better photo when he visits...

Plenty of images stored at the Nautilus thread so I'll apply tonight's session here. I subjected a 7.75ct 'Abominabilis' button with pronounced features to candling under digital microscope for a view of its interior structure. These pearls have an almost fiber-optic ability to transmit light through their interiors. Scallop pearls, with foliated calcite microstructure, should have similar characteristics that I would be curious to confirm.

What is harder to see in these images, is the noteably thick clear outer surface, as though it was encased in glass. When viewed with a loupe, there is a bright orange flame within the edge of the horizon.

Of particular interest to this discussion is the oblique view below right, which appears to capture the transparent surface layer as a sort of atmospheric phenomenon.

Attachments

• 7.75Comp(Bottom)(1).jpg
    7.75Comp(Bottom)(1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
WOW! You have a digital microscope!!! Those pics are arresting. You certainly bring new twists to what you show us. I'm mesmerized and awestruck; this is incredible knowledge you're sharing with us, pictorially. Most people have to go to scientific journals to see cool pics like this, and learn. Thanks! this is so cool!

I am so impressed! You show us dimensions we have never seen. You are so metaphysical and that's some kind of magic. You do everything you do with splendor!

Dave, if you could get a little closer, preferably with tripod, that would be great. Or, if you are able to crop the photo on the right to a neat square around the pearl and repost at maximum allowable format that would likely help. If you like you can EMail me the original file and I can try.

You are so metaphysical and that's some kind of magic.
Not to mention your comments! This is Dave's thread and we want to know more about the scallop pearl, but I would like to say that the metaphysical here is not me, it's the subject material. My approach is empirical?I want to see and feel everything. But when what one 'sees' and 'feels' becomes difficult to explain, even by the world's greatest scientists, it is indeed magical.

Lisa, the microscope is just for fun but I'm getting my money's worth looking at these translucent pearls. I'm not at all happy with the results under direct lighting.

Dave, if you could get a little closer, preferably with tripod, that would be great. Or, if you are able to crop the photo on the right to a neat square around the pearl and repost at maximum allowable format that would likely help.

My 5.2mp just doesn't cut it, especially in macro mode. I'll get someone with better optics and back light.

Back