Saltwater pearls "greyish blue" color....

M

Mirella

Hello All!
I am new to this Forum but not in appreciating & giving talks on Pearls....I am always amazed by all the new facts, techniques and varieties that we still can find. This is a never ending process of learning! I have bought in HKong about 11 years ago a strand of cultured pearls a greyish/blue color baroque shape which I found unusual at the time.

The coating of nacre seems "uneven" and appears when looked in front of a strong light with areas of darker and lighter "shadows" streaks. This is only visible with a light behind the pearl as I suppose its nacre thickness being quite thin it lets thru the light. A couple of weeks ago I found a similar strand, quite a few actually and their prices have gone down when compared to the one I bought years back.

The shop where I bought these other strands presented them to me as being "seawater" pearls as well. I find their color very attractive and I am sure they are a natural hue. Now, I have read in the past something about "blue" saltwater pearls as being cultured pearls raised in a particularly polluted water and thus the pollution helps to give this interesting colour to the pearl. All of this lenghty introduction is in fact to ask you about these pearls as I would like to get more information about how the silvery blue hue is produced (or under which conditions) and if this colour can be considered natural although might be considered as a "produced" color. Next time I'll send pictures, a s I have a bit of an IT problem nowadays.! Thanking you all, Mirella (Passion for Pearls).

They are now culturing these pearls "round." Some are multi-colored including orange, red, blue, etc.

Photos didn't attached... will upload them from a hosting site.

195844670.jpg

195844667.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluish gray, gray and silver gray Akoya pearls are often produced and these are a natural color. I've seen buckets of baroque ones in factories in China and Japan. These are "usually" considered of little to no value, though some consumers may beg to differ.

The Pearl Outlet said:
These are "usually" considered of little to no value...

How crazy is that! :cool: (coming from one of those dissident pearl fans).

Different topic, 'jewel457': Blame it on my visual memory, but those pictures remind me of THESE. Any relation?

Terry is right, because he used the word "usually". Some pearls are spectacular and can sell for much more than the whites. But generally the blues and yellows are worth less (not worthless, worth less). In order for them to be considered valuable they must have a consistent color, bright luster, and be round. The baroque and off round strands are indeed considered the "junk" strands at the factories.

Yes Valeria, the same ones (pics). Good thing you brought up the topic because I have been watching and wondering about these blue-grey too. Unfortunately, you cannot get much information out of that 'place' when you try to talk pearls with anyone there.

And agreeable, the top strand is by far the "most creative."

I HAVE a strand like the top one and I like it quite a bit. It reminds me of silver dragees one used to find on Christmas cookies and cakes.... It was touted as Tahitian pearls though, I bought it anyway as it was cheap (eBay, before I found this forum).

On the topic of Tahitians, I went to an estate auction this past weekend where there was an 18" necklace of round Tahitians 8mm-10mm. Unfortunately it had a .5c diamond clasp and by the time it came up, the audience had dispersed. I offered a low amount to start but the auctioneer said he wouldn't take less than $7,000.

I really like the aqua/bluish loose pearl in the bottom photo on the right. If an entire strand was comprised of high-quality pearls of that color, it would be worth quite a bit.

''Blue saltwater pearls".....

''Blue saltwater pearls".....

Thanks so much for the replies! The photos do help and yes mine are like the ones on the top (baroque strand) I have doubts about the pearls being not treated in any way.....after I wrote to the forum I actually began digging around and found other strands but not as beautiful as the first ones. Yes, I am "composing" necklaces and I found very very attractive the bluish hue of my first strand. I matched it with pieces of Tahitian shell, exactly the same color. The problem is I have a coming private fair.....and I might not present these necklaces because I am not sure of my answer to the prospective customers. Couldnt these pearls be nucleous irradiated pearls? Can anyone give me some indication on how to distinguish the irradiated bluish pearls from the bluish coming from "polluted" waters.....yes I remember that this is what they told me when I bought my first ones. Sorry, but the doubt is still here! I think I'll wait for you guys to give me more info about this type of pearls, I'll post some photos of my samples and I'll show them around when I am happy with my conclusions. Hoping to read you soon!

Back