Recommendations Please

JerseyPearl

Hi everyone! So I have ventured into the world of tin cup making...and it has become clear that I need a much better set of wire cutters for jewelry making. I would appreciate any and all recommendations on which pair would be best. I really like working with 24 gauge wire, and I need something that can get a cleaner cut. Thanks!!!

I saved an article from an old Art Jewelry magazine on various types of cutters.

I already have semi-flush cutters (makes on end nearly flush and the other side beveled) and flush cutters (not good for wire thicker than 16 gauge). But they are no good for making jump rings. I also have memory wire cutters, which are very strong and cut thick wire.

My next pair -- which I plan to get soon-- will be double-flush cutters. The article calls these the "Cadillac of cutters". These leave almost no bur on either side of the wire (a nice clean cut on both sides) and can be used to make jump rings. The article says they are the "easiest to use". They are only good for 18 gauge and finer wires (which is fine for the 24 gauge you use.)
You may want to get these, too.

Other options listed arebevel cutters (good for heavier gauge wires but leave both ends pinched), super-flush a.k.a. ultra-flush cutters (have to be squeezed harder and must be used for wires finer than 18 gauge) andend cutters (which limit the angles you can cut from.)
Then there are oblique cutters which are like end cutters but get into tighter spaces, and cut wire not thicker than 18 gauge.

Here is the pair of double-flush cutters I was checking out in the Rio catalog:
[h=4]Swanstrom Double-Flush Shear Cutters[/h]http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Swanstrom-Double_dash_Flush-Shear-Cutters/111063?Pos=7

"Designed for cutting jump rings and reducing metal waste. Get flush edges on both sides of the cut so you don't need to file jump rings before soldering! Cut wire up to 18 ga. along the jaw; a special notch near the joint lets you cut wire as heavy as 16 ga. A knurled set-screw allows you to set the jaws for the precise--and repeatable pressure you need."

If I get them I'll report back on how they do with jump rings. My husband has a jewelry saw but if these work, all the better.

Back