Question re Oxidized Silver and Pearls

raj

Community member
So, I probably should have asked this before I was 3/4 of the way done with my project...
Does anyone know if oxidized silver will discolor pearls? I am making a wire wrap necklace with FW pearls and have oxidized (ie tarnished using the egg method) the sterling silver wire before wrapping around the pearls.
I really like the look of the dark metal against the pearls, but am wondering if they are going to be ruined over time...

Hi raj,
Even naturally oxidized (aka tarnished) silver will leave black markings on white pearls where they have come into contact with the metal. I am not sure of actual damage to the pearl's skin.
Good luck,
Marianne

Raj, it won't bother it a bit. You could even make the piece then oxidize it in the eggs and it won't hurt the pearls. All metals oxidize, even gold. Just takes longer. Doesn't effect the pearls.

Hi raj,

I don?t know about tarnished silver making marks on pearls but it took not a very long time for goldplated spacers to make marks on the pearls where they came into contact with the spacers. They marks were black and could be removed partly from the pearl?s surface.

Thanks all for your responses, I was worried that the oxidization on the wire inside the pearls would leach into them and discolor them. I'm not too concerned if they get black marks around the drill holes as I doubt it will be noticable with the wire being black as well.

Dear raj:

I have personally had experience with white akoya becoming noticeably darker over time with sterling silver which tarnished and goes through the pearl. I "fixed" this by gently reaming the pearl, which is a delicate pain. :eek:
I'm pretty sure it showed because they were small, 4.5-5mm, and because they had a shell bead implant. Not sure what will happen to freshwater with no bead. Or to larger pearls.

barbie

Back