Question about selling on ebay

X

xstarsfallingx

Hello. I'm incredibly new here but just stumbled across this site while researching the best way to begin selling pearls/other gems. A family friend of mine goes to China several times a year due to his hardwood flooring business, and he recently came back with tons of jewelry. He got a couple of them appraised and was amazed at the value and quality of what he found.

Due to my knowledge of the internet, etcetc he came to me to see if we can get these on the internet to test the waters on their marketability. I immediately considered Ebay to start, since there is no startup investment or upkeep as there would be with a full blown website (plus all the marketing that would involve to just get ONE person to visit).

Problem is, Ebay's pearl market doesn't seem to be too active. It appears most of the listings are bogus (as I noticed, and as you all verified here). Do you guys think there is still a good opportunity with trying to sell through Ebay, especially since we've only got a few necklaces to work with at first? We got one strand appraised and we were thinking of offering a certificate of appraisal to be sent with each purchase, although that could prove to become tedious if we DO decide to follow through with this idea.

I apologize for being all over the place. If anyone could make out my point and give me some advice, it would be well appreciated (either here or directly to my email). ;)

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi,

The problem with eBay is that there are so many frauds there that nobody will be able to tell you from one of them especially with a low feedback count. You probably have a better chance at amazon.com or by negotiating a commission deal with a fashion store. It really depends on what you are intending to sell. If you are planning to realize more than 1% of appraisal value, eBay is not going to be a viable option anymore.

Zeide

Hi Zeide!

I think Amazon is only for the big guys now. They steer customers to their big accounts. The little guys merchandise is hard to find and gets very few hits on Amazon. That's been my experience.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Actually, I have not bought any pearls on amazon in ages. Apparently it changed. Nonetheless, it all depends on what you have to offer. I am actually surprised that starsfalling or her friend managed to get a decent appraisal when Canadian jewelers think that one can get naturally black freshwater pearls for 400 dollars a strand. Of course, places like Macy's sell microscopic freshwater pearls (3-6mm graduated)for 200 dollars and some really terrible quality at that, but generally my impression has been that U.S. jewelers strictly appraise boxes and clasps because they know something about them while they know nothing about pearls. I am ever so curious to read and see what starsfalling actually has that found such high regards with the appraiser.

Zeide

Although I do not have an image yet, I can summarize the appraisal information for you. We live in Los Angeles, California, by the way.

It's a 17" princess length, knotted with lobster claw clasp containing 44 cultured Chinese fresh water pearls, 8.5mm to 10.0mm in size. Pearls are white rose to cream white rose, with medium lustre, medium nacre, off-round, lightly spotted with good uniformity.

Replacement value is $1880.00US.

Hi Stars Falling
You say a lobster clasp. What metal is it? Generally, CFWP necklaces with lobster clasps of base metal are not good quality at all. I have never seen one that was, anyway, and I go to the big shows in Tucson where I see piles of necklaces with lobster claps. I have yet to see one that wasn't base meal, either. Sorry if I disappoint you.

I don't see how
medium lustre, medium nacre, off-round, lightly spotted with good uniformity.
could possibly appraise for so high! I could replace that quality for less than $6 a strand right out of the local bead store.

When you have seen high luster pearls, you will understand that medium luster is really low quality. I'd advise you learn a lot more.

If you really want an internet businees, maybe Yahoo, they have cheap signups and are easy to set up. But I think you will have to learn something about pearls and selling on the internet before you quit your day job.

Why go to the bother if they aren't really nice pearls or you aren't making them into your own desgns? You will find it hard to maintain integrity with a second rate product.

Last edited:
I do not have the strand on hand, as I was not the one who purchased them. All I know is that he got them at a show in China for $200 each, which is pretty high for a direct purchase.

Unfortunately, if the description is accurate, he overpaid. It will be difficult to sell them on eBay, or any auction Site for that matter, for the price he even paid.

May I suggest going classified? This does not come up often, and it is one market the Chinese dealers have not yet been able to infiltrate and destroy. I think you will do much better there.

For $200 each, I hope you got at least 14kt clasps. If they weren't high luster, they weren't worth $200, let alone with your markup, compared to the best online sellers- who would would be your competition. Look at some of sites of the sellers here to see what one can get for $200. It is all high luster at the least.

Perhaps you should visit a bead show and look at the pearls you can get there- medium luster is common on that circuit and the prices are rarely over $39.00 for CFW pearls.

Last edited:
Hi Caitlin,

What puzzles me most is: How do you get "medium nacre" in a tissue nucleated CFWCP? By current GIA standards with 0.25mm being thick nacre a medium would be 0.15-0.24mm. Who on earth was that appraiser? Otherwise, our California malls actually sell 9-10mm CFWCPs for that much if they look any better than pissoir deodorizer.

Zeide

Hi Zeide
Well, people can sell pearls for what ever they can get, but if one pays $200 per, one needs to be buying really high quality - or else buying medium luster quality, but at much lower prices than $200 per, so the retailer can also make a fair share of the profit not just the Chinese dealer.

Hi Jeremy & Caitlin,

If one already gives separate ratings to luster and surface quality, the nacre rating should refer to nacre thickness since the other factors of nacre impression (shininess and smoothness) have already been covered. Giving a solid-nacre pearl a medium-nacre rating is otherwise just a sign of ineptitude.

I recently saw at Sears strands of off-round, medium luster CFWCPs in the 9-10mm range with lobster claw clasp (sterling) and of a pink color that did not inspire my confidence in its natural origin for US$1,999.99 plus tax. And people were paying it. They were oohing and aahing over it just as they were drooling over a 8-13mm (measured lengthwise, perpendicular to the drillhole it was more like 7.5-11mm) strand of Tahitian cercl? goat droppings with no overtones for a mere US$ 3,800.00 plus tax.

Zeide

They were appraised at American International Gemologists (AIG), but again, I didn't do it myself nor do I know their reputation. I wish I had the pearls in front of me, as I know more now than I did the other day when I first glanced at them. The luster seemed fairly high, I'm wondering if the appraiser was being conservative in his description.

Regardless, all this activity has piqued my interest and since I have a connection to someone who is in China several times a year, I'm considering following through with the idea. Once I establish what the actual quality of these necklaces he purchased are, I'll see where to go from there.

I appreciate all your help with this. Thank you again.

Well shut my mouth. Of course I haven't been into Sears for years, but I'da never thought it the place to buy pearls for more than $99.00.
I saw medium luster cfwp at Target and K-Mart for $49.00 for the most expensive. I guess they (sears and K-Mart) will have to do some merging there re pearls. I notice Martha only wears nice pearls, but she probably won't be the pearl quality control at the new combined outfit...

Not GIA?:confused: AIG for sure? :eek: They generally only appraise for sellers on eBay and the likes. I caught a couple of other forums commenting on them when I Googled "AIG certification". They seem to be hoping to be the dyslexic GIA and fool people, but do not have an genuine reputation- at leaast not yet.

One lady commented she paid $250 for a ring they appraised at $5995.00 and was afraid she'd ove paid.:p Check it out: http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56320

Unfortunately your AIG appraisal is worth less than the paper it is printed on. They were once discussed here:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187

I feel they are very unethical, and if they really believe the values they place on those bogus appraisals, Zeide is right - ineptitude - severe ineptitude.

I really suggest taking the strand to a pearl expert. You will not even find a novice at AIG. You may actually have a great strand, they would just not know the difference.

I've seen CFWP for sale at Sam's Club too.They were expensive.

I just read that other thread and checked their site. One of the issues was the lack of street address on their site. they said the'd fix it , but it still isn't on the site. You have to enlarge an appraisel to see it on the letterhead.

21250 Califa Street suite 104 Woodland Hills CA 91367

Back