Pteria Sterna found on California Coast

Hi
That is interesting. Is it considered invasive or is it a long term territory? I couldn't get to the pterias through that link as it goes to an oak disease from an invasive species.....

Hi
That is interesting. Is it considered invasive or is it a long term territory? I couldn't get to the pterias through that link as it goes to an oak disease from an invasive species.....

It seems they think ocean ecosystem changes may be expanding their habitat. http://www.elkhornslough.org/research/aquaticinvaders/aquatic18.htm

If the oceans change as much as scientists project, there will be a lot of this going on. Are the native oysters of the Channel Islands they mention systematically farmed for pearls or meat?

I know it's an area controlled by the National Park Service, but if the species shift is inevitable, perhaps a small, ecologically responsible research center and pearl farm in that area sometime in the next 50 years could help pay for more extensive NPS support and stewardship. This economic downturn could have long-lasting implications for parks.

Last edited:
Hey Jeremy
Maybe its time to organize leases for growing pearls at Huntington flats. The Maxima's might be here soon. Swim boy's swim. Were waiting.

Back