Please tell me about sea of cortez pearls?

Hi Casey
What pictures on this forum have you seen? We have several of them. There are good examples of the range of color. I suggest you use the "search" function up on the green bar, if you haven't noticed it. :)

The ones I saw at the gem show this year were most silvery colored with strong multicolored orient or iridescence. They do come in a much broader range than that.

Thanks!
By the way I checked out the jewelry by Care Ehret on Ebay. I just love her pearl and 22k stuff. She has a few sea of cortez pearls up right now.
Also the perlas site has lots of info.

What you are looking for in a Sea of Cortez Pearl is PURE UNADULTERATED COLOR ON TOP OF MORE COLOR.

You should also expect a COLOR SHIFT as you move the pearls from place to place...ah! the beauty of all natural colors.

They are being sold at highly specialized jewelers in the U.S.A., check out this very nice web-page:
http://cortezpearl.com/home/

We have recently produced a beautiful high-quality multi-colored strand (photo included), the new owner named it "Balandra" (name given for a beautiful bay in Baja California Sur, near La Paz). Harvest time is almost upon us this year...we don't know what to expect color-wise: goldens? coppery-browns? aubergines? sky-blues? No way of knowing.

Regards,

Douglas McLaurin
Perlas del Mar de Cortez

Attachments

• Collares Perlas Cosecha 2006 012.jpg
    Collares Perlas Cosecha 2006 012.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 52
please take as many pictures as possible of the entire harvest process, I know a lot of people would love to see it.

Will try to post as many photos as possible...seems I don't have enough time these days, then the forum imposses certain size limits on files and I have to spend some time getting the photos down to size.

I'll try to produce a small video and place it on our web-page this summer (july-august)...it could be easier.

If you want to take a look at some of the finest Sea of Cortez Pearls IN PERSON you can visit our Distributor's (Columbia Gem House, Inc.) booth this coming month of June (2007) at the JCK Las Vegas Show, at AGTA Booth # 34100.

Also, visit their re-vamped website: http://www.cortezpearls.com

And -as it should be expected of a true gem pearl- these pearls will definitively NOT be:
1) Bleached nor Dyed
2) Polished nor buffed nor "candy coated"
3) harmful to our Environment...we take as many precautions to ensure for a healthy Marine Environment. The Gulf of California was added to Unesco's World Heritage List in 2005, and we intend to preserve this beautiful and fragile ecosystem for generations to come.

The Sea of Cortez Pearl (or "Cortez Pearl") is a proud partner of the Fair Trade Gems initiative. For more information visit: www.fairtradegems.com

I just returned from the Sea of Cortez. It is such a beautiful and dramatic location! These gorgeous GEMS truly reflect the natural beauty of their origin.

Hello, I have been reading and learning from all of you for a while. Enjoy the show and tells about your pearls, so many lovelies.

I have a strand of colorful saltwater pearls purchased many, many years while on a cruise. Could these be Sea of Cortez? Any ideas? They look so much like the posted pictures of Sea of Cortez, that is what made me decide to register and post.

Thanks for any insight.
Kiki

Hello Kiki and Welcome!

Please give more details--and a photo is a must!! About what year were they purchased? Also please give the size of the pearls. We can then make an educated guess!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye,

Thank you for the welcome! I have to say I agree with your siggy!

The size of the pearls are 7.5 to 8mm.

Let me see if I can post pictures...

Attachments

• myblackpeacockrope4.jpg
    myblackpeacockrope4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 47
another picture

Attachments

• myblackpeacockropesm.jpg
    myblackpeacockropesm.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 41
Hi Kiki,

Wow, interesting! And how long is the necklace? Do you know what the clasp is made of? I am hoping Douglas McLaurin of Sea of Cortez pearls will see your photos and give his opinion.

These do look like genuine pearls IMO, in that they appear baroque and have some variation in size and color. I am checking the Strack book to see what pearls were being produced in Mexico about that time, because of the problems they had historically.

Do you wear them often? I would think they would draw a lot of attention!!

Thanks very much for sharing photos of your interesting pearls!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

OooOooh, those are nice! But I don't know enough about the history of sea of cortez pearls to be of any help. Can't wait to hear what our expert has to say. I wonder where else they might be from?

Pattye,

It is 35" including the clasp which was made for the strand and it is 14kt yellow gold with matching pearl. It does get a lot of attention and have really grown attached to it over the years.

Thanks for the compliment Casey!

Kiki

Hi Kiki
Nice! If they are mikis, they have great colorfulness, which I have never seen in mikis before, so I am really curious, too.

Now what town or port did you buy them in? 1968. hmm.........

If you don't hear from the Cea of Cortez folks, soon, find one of their threads and post this again. The may miss a post that isn't on a thread they contributed to.

Hi Caitlin,

I bought them when I was in St Thomas while on a cruise to the Virgin Is. and Puerto Rico. That was in 1968. The shop also had some gorgeous silvery ones with nice color. The pictures of the Sea of Cortez pearls really had me thinking perhaps it is possible these could be of the same and I was hoping to hear what you all think.

Best regards,
Kiki

Back