Please help identify pearl

starlen7

45B1E6FC-8A35-4CEA-A3C4-A03F2722D2E5.jpg

Hi everyone,
I got this pearl from garage sale but don't know which kind it is. I've tried to search picture in google but can not find any info.
If you know anything about it, please help me out.

Hello Starlen :) and welcome to our Pearl Loving Community.
It is an interesting piece that you have there...those look very much like freshwater pearls from the mid 1990's.
They are baroque shaped freshwater pearls from China.
We will probably have our many pearl experts joining in, so do not dismay!

Hi Starlen,

Beautiful fresh water pearls. They are side drilled instead of top to bottom length wise. Love the flat sides. These were quite popular in the mid to late 1990's. Very pretty.

They are certainly freshwater pearls, however I have some doubts on assigning China as the origin.
They could also be vintage Japanese Biwa pearls.

I have a Biwa strand, with provenance, that I purchased in the eighties and they appear quite similar to these pearls.

Yes, it is something to bear in mind...could be Biwa. I was thinking of the shape of the pearls the other day when I saw the photo and thinking...very potato-like but NOT potato. Maybe the reason is that these are Biwa indeed.
Would be great to have more of our forum members adding in their input...my experience with Biwa is very limited. I've seen just a handful of strands that are REAL Biwas.

Back