Please excuse length of question!!

rebeccaj

This is a great website and I'm so glad to have stumbled onto you guys! In going through my Mother's things recently (she's in a skilled nursing facility), I found a small box with the original 'cotton' padding and a medium-sized white pearl. The box has been opened, but the pearl has obviously never been taken out (except maybe to fall out, ya know?). On the bottom it reads, "Mikimoto Cultured Pearls" and has an "M" in a crest above it. We were stationed in Japan in the 50s & 60s, so I figure it's from that time. How do I find out if it's worth anything?

Also, an unrelated question, but someone here probably knows: My parents also have a number of Japanese items from that era. Does anyone know of a source to determine the value of this type of items?

Forgive the long question(s) - I can never say anything in just a few words....Thanks, Rebecca

Hi & Welcome :)

I'd venture that the single pearl could have been a souvenir from a visit to the M pearl farm. It was probably meant to be just for fun then and so it is now. It would be interesting to compare your 'sample' to current Akoya!

Can't help with the rest, I am afraid... but others just might. What are those other 'Japanese items' ? Jewelry?

Thank you so much, Valeria. You are probably right that it was a souvenir as my Mother went with other wives to numerous sites, as well as taking my brother and me along at times.

The other items are many and varied - she has what she calls a "Princess ring" which is cone-shaped with multi-colored stones on it, jade pieces, and so on. Most of her jewelry is surely costume, but there are probably a few treasures interspersed amongst them.

We also have several carved bears, tons of dolls of different size, shape and style, several Geisha, ceramics, pictures, silk pieces, a kimono or two, etc., etc. Some in decent shape, some not. My father went to Rikyo University for his Masters and was bilingual. We have a number of his old textbooks too. My Mother loved the Oriental style, as do I. When my home is completed, I intend to have some Oriental flare to it; however, there is much more than I can use. Hence, the desire to find a market for them.

More info than you wanted, I'm sure. Anyway, thanks again for your input. I appreciate it. Rebecca :)

You've got one intriguing yard sale on your hands! I can't be of much help... The list reminds me of a certain WWW niche of vintage odds and ends: www.Trocadero.com. Obviously, those shops must buy to be able to sell. And taking a look might give you some idea of what goes where.

Just a thought...

Good luck! :)

Back