Pinctada shell found with 85 natural pearls in it

Well, if this is important to you...you may consider donating the shell and pearls to Dr. Checa in Spain. If you want to, let me know and I'll ask Ana Vasilu to contact you. Just let me know :)

I Want, please put me in touch with Ana Vasilu.

Maybe I could directly send an email to dr. Checa, the address should be acheca@ugr.es

Unfortunately Granada is far from Milan, you know a lab in Italy that can do the same analysis?

Gianpiero Piva

Hi Caitlin,

At 07-30-2011, in the forums, I answered with irony to your ironic post but I don’t know what is "Pearlitzer Prizes".

Can you tell me what it is.

Thank you, see you soon!

Gianpiero

"Pearlitzer prize" is a tongue-in-cheek expression we use here on the forum. It is not anything official.

Congratulations on your find-- it is special, world record or not!

Last edited:
I am sorry Gianpiero. I didn't see it.

"Pearlitzer Prize" is a pun on the. "Pulitzer Prize for journalism". It is totally unofficial, but it gets mentioned from time to time for especially good reporting and photos about pearls. IE, the GIA trip to the South Seas some years ago was reported by Gem Geek. It was an outstanding piece of pearly journalism and was the first time the Pearlitzer Prize got a mention. So far, it is just nominations as there is no actual award.

Anyone can nominate a thread or even a post, as long as we realize there is no actual prize, at least, not yet.....it is just high praise. I would nominate Cliclasps' (Anna Tablakhova) famous thread playing "guess this pearl". I forget the actual name of the thread, but we need to "bump" it. Lagoon Island's diary on his pearl farm and the Nautilus thread are two more outstanding threads. The latter is pearly investigative journalism at its best and the end of the story is still to come.

Thank you Caitlin and Pearl Dreams,

I had intuited the meaning but I was not sure.

See you soon!

Gianpiero

26 Pearls from Lebanon

26 Pearls from Lebanon

In 2008 was published in newspapers around the world the news of an oyster Pinctada that was found in Lebanon with 26 pearls inside.

?The Telegraph? link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-finds-26-pearls-in-her-lunchtime-oyster.html

?La Repubblica? in Italian language but with better photos. Link:

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/12/gallerie/ambiente/ostrica-record/1.html

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that?s sure.

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that?s sure.

I think that is not possible, what you think about.

Gianpiero

I do not know what happened, I never heard anything, it's very strange.

Gianpiero

In 2008 was published in newspapers around the world the news of an oyster Pinctada that was found in Lebanon with 26 pearls inside.

“The Telegraph” link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-finds-26-pearls-in-her-lunchtime-oyster.html

“La Repubblica” in Italian language but with better photos. Link:

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/12/gallerie/ambiente/ostrica-record/1.html

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that’s sure.

The pearls are all nestled in against the byssus threads like bubbles. The location seems strange, that’s sure.

I think that is not possible, what you think about.

Gianpiero

I would say the opened the oyster forcefully and with a big knife...which displaced the pearls to their odd location.

I would say the opened the oyster forcefully and with a big knife...which displaced the pearls to their odd location.

I respectfully disagree. Byssal cysts are not uncommon. Here are four different examples.

Although the sacs are thicker and singular, they present in the same manner.

Attachments

• pearlsac05.jpg
    pearlsac05.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 44
  • pearlsac08.jpg
    pearlsac08.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 46
  • pearlsac02.jpg
    pearlsac02.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 51
  • pearlsac07.jpg
    pearlsac07.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Wow! I stand corrected...but with Mussels. I have never seen these pearls in Pteriidae nor heard of anyone else seeing any in the bysuss. Maybe Josh can join us and tell us about his experience with Pinctada margaritifera.

I have extracted "byssus pearls" from within the bysuss itself...but they are never plentiful (as the description) and certainly not shiny nor nacreous.

Great Photos Dave and thank you for sharing them!

I have never seen these pearls in Pteriidae nor heard of anyone else seeing any in the bysuss.

Perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges, although mussels are Pteriomorphia. It may be a case of wild v cultured, afterall the intertidal environment is big bad place sometimes as opposed to pampering in water column. I'm always VERY careful when removing mussels. I never pull or bend them, but snip the threads, leaving enough externally to rewire them back in place.

I have extracted "byssus pearls" from within the bysuss itself...but they are never plentiful (as the description) and certainly not shiny nor nacreous.

Those have been my observations for the mostpart, as well. Most are proteinaceous, having concentric layers that are easily pulled appart, with no apparent nuclei. Some are cysts which are fluid filled, resembling the "milk" that is spun into byssal silk. I suspect hernias or prolapsed ducts as the cause. All of these types are very white, with a slight yellow tinge (a color not at all common in the hard pearls). Similar cysts though, yield jet black pearls (among the blackest of any blacks), as two of the images show. I've suspected those to be formed by parasites finding their way into the tissues via the orifice in the gland.

Thanks Dave and Douglas,

at the end of this thread I think the 26 pearls of Lebanon may be cysts hardened by cooking, but even if they were pearls are even smaller and of smaller number of my pearls and also the shell is very small and without blister pearls.

Despite all this news was published in major newspapers around the world and on hundreds of websites.

The news of my discovery, much more significant, with certification of pearls by CISGEM and the movie of their extraction from the mother shell is only on this forum and some niche portals.

Maybe there are other cases of similar finds of many pearls produced by a single shell genus Pinctada, someone can point them to me?

Gianpiero Piva

gppiva@libero.it

Classification of my Pinctada shell

Classification of my Pinctada shell

:) Dr. Monica Leonardi, of the Natural History Museum of Milan, has focused on the problem of classification of my shell, she says, with certainty, which is a Pinctada margaritifera and not believed to be reliable references to subspecies as "erythrensis" because there are not enough case studies that demonstrate the existence, she told me that the differences in color, size, shape and other, may depend on the marine environment and may characterize the examples of some areas.

Gianpiero Piva

gppiva@libero.it

Back