Pearly Urchin by Hans-Ulrich Pauly

GemGeek

Pearlista
Click on the link to see more:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php?r=234-Pearly-Urchin-by-Hans-Ulrich-Pauly

20150205_121955.jpg

Blaire

Incredible work of art. What type of stone was used, GG ? I kind of looks like chocolate :)

Such a nifty idea!

It's given me the idea to encrust a real urchin shell with tiny naturals. In the past, I've made paperweights and night lights with urchin shells, but putting seed pearls into the tiny holes ought to create something quite attractive and collectible.

I'm going to have a little chat with friend who's a specialized resin chemist in the morning.

Thanks for posting this Blaire, and the food for thought.

I can't find my notes, it's most likely jasper or chalcedony. It wasn't more than an inch across. Sheri and I enjoyed talking to his son and daughter and seeing all their delights.

Great idea, Dave! :)

Dave, I haven't been able to stop thinking about your pearls adorning the real thing. They are going to be incredibly charming. ♡

Dave, I haven't been able to stop thinking about your pearls adorning the real thing.

Me too!

I've been considering the comments made about this artist's piece. The resemblance to chocolate is interesting. Although a nice contrast to the pearls, it's not the effect I'm envisioning. A few specimens on hand are purple or light brown. My chemist friend suggests clear epoxy. Though mostly clear, it finishes with a slight brown hue, which is compatible with the earth tones of my pearls. He also suggested CIBA dyes to deepen the color of the shells, perhaps even stripes, before sealing them. I've used cold curing epoxy on previous projects and it added great strength to an otherwise very fragile structure.

I've earmarked a thousand tiny pearls and sent bounty notices to friends in the dive fleets for perfect specimens. Natural urchins have an incredible filigree-like structure and would pair beautifully with natural pearls.

when you are ready to begin it would be wonderful if you could post a few photos as you go along so we can follow the whole process.

Good plan! I'm wary of kitsch and my tastes are not necessarily other's tastes, so feedback is always helpful, especially with coloring matching.

Dave, that project sounds fabulous! I look forward to watching this develop :)

Yes please keep us in the loop, sounds a great project.

I always love looking at people's creations and enjoyed Pauly's website, sadly that chocolate colour is not my cup of tea either!

Back