Pearls ? The Connoisseur's Choice

Jeremy,

Well written, nicely done!

I made a similar observation in my National Jeweler column in 1991. Oh, of course the buxom round beauties available today were still far in the future but the little 6mm buttons coming out in the early 80s showed all the hallmarks of quality we see today, lovely color, sub-metallic luster and close grained smooth skin.

I began buying matched pairs of 8-9mm buttons from Fuji Voll who setup in a tent at one of the back-of-the-bus Tucson shows in the early 90s.

Clients coming back to the Berkshires for the summer season were enthralled with the natural pastels and I sold them like crazy. Back then no one had these pearls and I learned early on that you had to mark the pearls up pretty dramatically or clients would not take them seriously.

Started buying in Hong Kong. Had to ship the results of my first buy. Spent a few thousand and had so many pearls, couldn't carry the weight.

Hi Jeremy
I agree with you so thoroughly. :p And I thank you for providing them to us!

The gem quality CFWP is the best pearl available on the planet! The Chinese have really learned how to grow freshwater pearls and they did not stop when they achieved the lower quality, but kept on learning how to do a fantastic job culturing these un-beaded beauties into rounder and rounder shapes. (Amazing technique to do this without a prosthetic device inside. :D)

I also think the current reasonable prices for best quality CFW pearls makes them the pearl of choice for collecters and a good chance to take for investors. I am sure they will only increase in value as the competition for a limited number of perfect pearls among the gazillion off-rounds heats up.

BTW Richard, Fuji Voll of Pacific Pearls is still selling at the gem show and is always one of my favorites. He personally hangs out in the Pavilion at the River Park Inn, but has a booth at the GYX too. He seems to have no talent for the internet, though but he is a person I would and have bought sight unseen pearls from over the phone. I have a phone number for him if anyone is interested. He has reasonable prices which drop sharply if you buy several strands of a kind.

I have a picture of one of my favorite necklaces with pearls from Fuji in my thread in Show Us Your Pearls (Picture #7, here.) I call this strand pillow or puff pearls. They are perfectly matched in size and shape which is a kind of puffy pillow shape. I added 2mm hand carved little round coral beads from the 1950's in between.

Hi Jeremy and All,

Thanks for again sharing an excellent and succinct article. And please don't forget we here on the Pearl-Guide forum would like first dibs on all those fab gem quality freshwaters!!!:D Those Celebs don't appreciate them anywhere near as much as most of us do!!!

Pattye

Jeremy,

The argument is convincing and as we mull over ways in which to wear and display natural acquisitions, freshadama strands seem to be the logical and philosophically compatible answer.

You can be sure we'll be in touch, will likely need your help to create an enhancer or two?

Steve
Seattle

The Connoisseur's Choice

The Connoisseur's Choice

Hi Jeremy,

I would like to add my voice to that of Pattye.

nora

Caitlin,

Been buying from Fuji for many years. His father kindly provided me with a list of dealers last time in Hong Kong.
My wife and I frequently have a dinner with Fuji and Marsha when we do Tucson.

Back