Pearls from Sulo, Philippines

Emespearls

Hi Everyone

I'm new to pearls and Im wondering if any of you experts could comment on these pearls which my girlfriend from Zamboanga City, Philippines bought from a local muslim trader who claims to have contact with pearl divers in the Sulo sea.

1. Golden yellow pearl
Size is 9-10mm, Golden Pearl (Natural), has some "fish bites" according to trader. What causes those scars on the pearls?

My GF bought them for US$40 each.

2. Black south sea pearl
This one measures 12-13mm, good luster and was bought for US$70 (pearl only).

Please comment on their quality, marketability and selling price say if turned into a ring or pendant. I'm based in Sydney and I'm thinking of making extra money by marketing these pearls here on a small-scale basis. Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Golden Yellow 9-10mm.jpg
    Golden Yellow 9-10mm.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Black South Sea Ring 1.JPG
    Black South Sea Ring 1.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 39
Emespearls,

Welcome. You've come to a great place to explore pearls, their complexity and characteristics.

Here there are many links to websites where you can research what similar pearls sell for.

Many golden SS pearls are being dyed these days, will you be able to tell the difference? Buying from reliable sources is one way of protecting yourself. Blemishing, such as you describe, is common in pearls, and of course, unblemished pearls command a higher price.

local muslim trader who claims to have contact with pearl divers in the Sulo sea.

Sounds romantic, but you could be at risk for a scam. Negotiating to purchase pearls is an art in itself.

Only you can do the market research for your area, to see what competitors are charging. Unless you and/or your girlfriend know a lot about pearls, proceed with extreme caution.

Hi Everyone

I'm new to pearls and Im wondering if any of you experts could comment on these pearls which my girlfriend from Zamboanga City, Philippines bought from a local muslim trader who claims to have contact with pearl divers in the Sulo sea.

1. Golden yellow pearl
Size is 9-10mm, Golden Pearl (Natural), has some "fish bites" according to trader. What causes those scars on the pearls?

My GF bought them for US$40 each.

2. Black south sea pearl
This one measures 12-13mm, good luster and was bought for US$70 (pearl only).

Please comment on their quality, marketability and selling price say if turned into a ring or pendant. I'm based in Sydney and I'm thinking of making extra money by marketing these pearls here on a small-scale basis. Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,

These are typical of the cultured pearls being fraudulently represented as natural pearls in Zamboanga City. They can be purchased for about $30 each or less at Greenhills. The gold ones are almost certainly dyed. I've bought some and regretted it. So...any pearl for sale in Zamboanga City is almost surely cultured, especially if round. The local traders laugh at night about the people they've fooled.

They are cultured, and not...repeat, not...natural pearls. Of course, you can send them to GIA Bangkok for certification to verify this.

Regards,
Tom Stern,MD
Royal Datu of Sulu

Dear Pattye, DRStern and jshepherd

Many, many thanks for your valued comments, much appreciated.

Your comments does make sense. When my GF first told me about this prospect, I was very excited about the potential of making some money. But as I became more interested in these beautiful gems, I started doing some research and stumbled upon your very informative site.

I was in Manila for work last year brought along an Aussie mate to Greenhills who bought a couple of items (necklace, bracelet, earrings) for around A$300. I'm Filipino by the way and I had a good talk with the merchant. I asked her why are they cheap and she told me they were freshwater pearls. I didn't ask her where they're from, assuming they were farmed somewhere in the Philippines. But as I learned from this site, they're all from China.

Then I asked what about those saltwater pearls...and the merchant said, "oh, they'd cost you hundreds of thousands of pesos just for an earring". "Whoa!!" I said..and so I did not bother to probe further. But now at least I feel good that the trader was honest to us.

I accept the gold pearls are dyed cultured freshwater pearls and the black pearl is a cultured south sea...probably poached, handed down, etc I dont know.

Lately, my GF approached another trader sitting alone with a small bag in the wet market section of the public market and asked if she could provide several pearls consistent in size, colour and quality to form a bracelet. The trader said, "it is very hard because we can only supply whatever the diver brings to the surface....you might have to wait for a long long time". There may be a grain of truth to what the trader was saying because on that occassion, she only had a dozen of loose pearls to sell, of various shapes and sizes...and she was extremely poor and absolutely illiterate.

I guess I have to do more research and probably investigate and speak to the locals. But your inputs are invaluable and have provided me a base to start with. I was in Zamboanga last Sept 08 and might return July this year.

Have a great day!

Dear Pattye, DRStern and jshepherd

Many, many thanks for your valued comments, much appreciated.

Your comments does make sense. When my GF first told me about this prospect, I was very excited about the potential of making some money. But as I became more interested in these beautiful gems, I started doing some research and stumbled upon your very informative site.

I was in Manila for work last year brought along an Aussie mate to Greenhills who bought a couple of items (necklace, bracelet, earrings) for around A$300. I'm Filipino by the way and I had a good talk with the merchant. I asked her why are they cheap and she told me they were freshwater pearls. I didn't ask her where they're from, assuming they were farmed somewhere in the Philippines. But as I learned from this site, they're all from China.

Then I asked what about those saltwater pearls...and the merchant said, "oh, they'd cost you hundreds of thousands of pesos just for an earring". "Whoa!!" I said..and so I did not bother to probe further. But now at least I feel good that the trader was honest to us.

I accept the gold pearls are dyed cultured freshwater pearls and the black pearl is a cultured south sea...probably poached, handed down, etc I dont know.

Lately, my GF approached another trader sitting alone with a small bag in the wet market section of the public market and asked if she could provide several pearls consistent in size, colour and quality to form a bracelet. The trader said, "it is very hard because we can only supply whatever the diver brings to the surface....you might have to wait for a long long time". There may be a grain of truth to what the trader was saying because on that occassion, she only had a dozen of loose pearls to sell, of various shapes and sizes...and she was extremely poor and absolutely illiterate.

I guess I have to do more research and probably investigate and speak to the locals. But your inputs are invaluable and have provided me a base to start with. I was in Zamboanga last Sept 08 and might return July this year.

Have a great day!

As you know, there have been 6 kidnappings in Sulu in the past two weeks, for ransom. Beheadings will follow. Anyone with money will be the target of the kidnapping for ransom syndicates. In the old days before mobile phones, there would be a window of safety before word got around that fresh money was in town. Nowadays, when I land at the Zamboanga City airport, before my bags have cleared the luggage carts, more than a hundred people know Datu Tom has arrived again. But I have military security and am not afraid. Once you show money by buying pearls, you are marked by the syndicates forever; and not even the family of your GF is safe.

My suggestion to you is that you do your buying in Greenhills in Manila. The Muslim traders have more than 100 outlets there, and you will not be robbed or killed. I recommend the woman named Salma. Mention my name and she will take special care of you, but she has never had natural pearls, only first-class cultured.

If you insist on visiting the critical area, stay off the streets. The USA and Australia State Departments suggest the highest degree of caution.

Take care,
Datu Tom Stern

Last edited:
has some "fish bites" according to trader
Now that's a nice way of describing a blemish - but I'd take Tom's advice, not worth risking your safety for cultured pearls.

Appreciate your concern Dr Stern. Will consider your advise and perhaps just have someone who can be trusted and is from the area to do the legwork instead. Maybe my GF's bro-in-law who is muslim councillor..and his hommies.

Many thanks Gentlemen.

perhaps better to buy from a good pearl supplier in Australia and avoid the risk. You will know what you are getting as well.
Since the pearls in the Phillipines are all second hand, there is no real reason to buy there, is there?

Buying Cultured in Manila

Buying Cultured in Manila

perhaps better to buy from a good pearl supplier in Australia and avoid the risk. You will know what you are getting as well.
Since the pearls in the Phillipines are all second hand, there is no real reason to buy there, is there?

Good morning,

Throughout Southern Philippines extensive pearl farms produce top quality cultured pearls with very thick nacre, often 4-5mm, from Pinctada maxima, gold lip and silver lip. These products can easily be found in Manila, and at very good prices.

In my view, the Philippines is a great place to buy cultured pearls, and in most areas is safer than most cities, including those in Europe. But only the reckless or the very connected should dare the critical areas, and no one should go into Sulu without ten guns. In Manila, you can wander from one fine dining place to another, from music club to dance club, without fear.

Best,
Tom

That sounds like a plan (- and a reminder to me to shut up when I don't know further, better and enough particulars)

Appreciate your concern Dr Stern. Will consider your advise and perhaps just have someone who can be trusted and is from the area to do the legwork instead. Maybe my GF's bro-in-law who is muslim councillor..and his hommies.

Many thanks Gentlemen.

Yes, that is a good way.

Back