Pearls and Cameos - A Great Combination

I made cameos in the past, my first one was made from a old MOP token.

intaglio-nacre.jpg

Then I made a dog head, a boat (for ring size), several women and men faces too, it was long time ago I was a teenage...
I may still have one somewhere made from strombus shell, roman style.
I will try to find it, and take a shot.
I was thinking about making cameos again, but more modern design, mayby skeletons or other gothic-steampunk design.
I am more and more thinking about making steampunk gothic jewelry, but using precious material.

I also purchased a nice XIX agate cameo with 2 pearls on gold mount, I will share it soon, when I will get it in mailbox.

Last edited:
I did buy a small one, which I gave to my sister. It was considered a "learner's piece" and the saleswoman scoffed, but I liked it's simple flowers and smaller size, and wearability as a pendant or a pin.

Ugh - this is one of my pet hatreds. No salesperson should ever scoff at anything they have in inventory (why do they carry it, after all?) and specially not when a customer shows interest in it. I don't care if it is the cheapest thing they carry, if it is all the customer can afford or if they prefer it to all the more expensive pieces in the showcases. You sell it, you back it. You can explain that it is a learner piece and then go on to explain all the student has learned so far. You talk about the age old techniques, the apprentice system, whatever. But you make your customer feel that it is special and that it has meaning. Because it is and it does!

Ugh - this is one of my pet hatreds. No salesperson should ever scoff at anything they have in inventory (why do they carry it, after all?) and specially not when a customer shows interest in it. I don't care if it is the cheapest thing they carry, if it is all the customer can afford or if they prefer it to all the more expensive pieces in the showcases. You sell it, you back it. You can explain that it is a learner piece and then go on to explain all the student has learned so far. You talk about the age old techniques, the apprentice system, whatever. But you make your customer feel that it is special and that it has meaning. Because it is and it does!

Well said Beatriz !!!!

Well said, Beatriz! Somewhere an artist invested the time and energy to create this thing of beauty, which was meant to be enjoyed and appreciated.

Too many sales persons forget jewelry is often a sentimental purchase that is frequently attached to a special moment or memory. That to me is the difference between a sales clerk and a sales professional.

Too many sales persons forget jewelry is often a sentimental purchase that is frequently attached to a special moment or memory. That to me is the difference between a sales clerk and a sales professional.

I whole-heartedly agree! Often the sentimental value of a piece far exceeds the market value.

OOO, and she's wearing pearls and the frame has pearls. Gorgeous.

Back