Pearls and Cameos - A Great Combination

Paul ! Omg you do have the eye ! That cameo is gorgeous, I love the gold work. And the necklace ! What a find ! Your daughter must have just about fainted when she saw it !
You are right , it's a lot easier to do as a hobby than as a business. I don't know how people can let things go ..I would want to keep everything. I have enough trouble letting go of my pearls lol I had to take a selection of things out to a client and each one I put in the bad ..it was like .." oh ..I don't think she'd want this ...maybe I'll keep it ...this one ...oh no ...not that one ...oh ..I ve only got five of those ....hmmm maybe she doesn't really need pearls ... I have to force myself to let go of each item lol But I like your saying keep the best ... good thinking ..I'll work on the "letting go the rest " part.

My mother used to collect cameos as well, in England, during the 1960s when they were out of style. She has a fabulous collection and she always wore one on her lapel with a strand of pearls. I copied her style.

Then I had my dog collar made in the 1980s, because I was a complete Diana fan.

IMG_1998.jpg

I love that the cameo lady on the right is wearing a strand of pearls.

IMG_2189.jpg

It looked better when my neck was younger.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 54
I think these are beautiful and they look great. Even more so now I think.

Sometimes ladies wear pearls and the look is pretty. Then there comes a time when ladies wear pearls and they are not only pretty, but there is an elegance and polish to the look. To me that is where you are, and NOTHING is wrong with that at all. Hopefully that made sense and I hope you wear them often?

My mother used to collect cameos as well, in England, during the 1960s when they were out of style. She has a fabulous collection and she always wore one on her lapel with a strand of pearls. I copied her style.

Then I had my dog collar made in the 1980s, because I was a complete Diana fan.

View attachment 47423

I love that the cameo lady on the right is wearing a strand of pearls.

View attachment 47424

It looked better when my neck was younger.

Paul ! Omg you do have the eye ! That cameo is gorgeous, I love the gold work. And the necklace ! What a find ! Your daughter must have just about fainted when she saw it !
You are right , it's a lot easier to do as a hobby than as a business. I don't know how people can let things go ..I would want to keep everything. I have enough trouble letting go of my pearls lol I had to take a selection of things out to a client and each one I put in the bad ..it was like .." oh ..I don't think she'd want this ...maybe I'll keep it ...this one ...oh no ...not that one ...oh ..I ve only got five of those ....hmmm maybe she doesn't really need pearls ... I have to force myself to let go of each item lol But I like your saying keep the best ... good thinking ..I'll work on the "letting go the rest " part.

We are soul mates....

There are cameos and then there are CAMEOS! These cameos are intricate and beautifully carved! You can really appreciate the artistry in each piece.

This is not mine and there are no pearls. I have had the pleasure of handling this for a friend, and I have coveted ever since.

Carved Amethyst.jpg

20141115_112642-1 copy.jpg

**If you do a google search for Amethyst Cameo you can see a much better picture from an Antique dealer :)

Last edited:
Ooooo, amethyst PURPLE and cameo. Wonderful.

I'm a huge fan of the Swedish Cameo tiara, too, but I can't seem to post a photo of it.

Thanks, BPD for your comments about my dog collar. I'm going to wear it tonight! We're celebrating Chanukah at my parent's house tonight because everyone was at their in-laws for Christmas and Chanukah was the exact same time last year. We're a multi religion family and we celebrate every holiday that brings joy and people together, even if we can't celebrate on the exact day we'll find a way to celebrate.

Me too. Omg in person it is amazing, I literally played with it everyday for weeks lol inspecting every detail (in fact they had several stunning pieces I got view including an authentic mogul necklace). If you do that google search you'll see that Antique dealer where it eventually landed, their beauty shots are much better than my pic. I do believe its been sold though.
(PM and I'll tell some of the other goodies you can find there)

I love that amethyst cameo!

No thanks needed, I think its wonderful. Oooh take a picture of you are not too self conscious :eek:, I know we would all love to see the collar in action! Getting to celebrate two holidays with people you love, can't think of anything better actually. Everything is so rush rush rush, at least the holidays we get slow down and actually remember what is important :)

Just for you:

cameotiara.jpg

Ooooo, amethyst PURPLE and cameo. Wonderful.

I'm a huge fan of the Swedish Cameo tiara, too, but I can't seem to post a photo of it.

Thanks, BPD for your comments about my dog collar. I'm going to wear it tonight! We're celebrating Chanukah at my parent's house tonight because everyone was at their in-laws for Christmas and Chanukah was the exact same time last year. We're a multi religion family and we celebrate every holiday that brings joy and people together, even if we can't celebrate on the exact day we'll find a way to celebrate.

Fun thread!

Here's mine. I got it on ebay a few years ago and had someone at a bead shop replace the worn out seed pearls around it. It says "14k" on the little fastener thing so I guess it's not that old.

I don't know that much about it but I wonder if the lady head part is some kind of plastic that was glued on. I know this sounds weird but I've heard you test for plastic by tasting jewelry and that plastic kind of burns your tongue. So, I notice the stone at the back tastes like nothing but the lady head does kind of burn my tongue. Maybe? (The pearls, of course, are delicious!)

cameo1.jpg

Tahitian pearl earings

That lady's head is carved out of shell and the there are several colored layers of the shell. You can see that her wrap goes from white to the background beige pink color. You can also see another layer of brown on the front of her wrap and the grapes in her hair. You can also tell a lot by holding the cameo up to the light and viewing it from the backside. I've also never heard about plastic burning your tongue. I would think that plastic would be inert.

Plastic cameos will look more like one color in each of their layers. Your cameo has subtle color changes throughout all layers, which makes me feel it is pure shell.

There are also cameos carved from stones, like agate, but I haven't seen those in person. My mother and I only collect the shell ones.

So I finally got around to snapping some photos...I don't have any cameos set with pearls, but there are some wearing pearls. The right/left facing pair are earrings.IMG_1040.jpg
And here is a close up profile of the black cameo, which is an old piece. I'm not sure what the stone is, maybe agate?IMG_1042.jpg
And a shot of the back of the black oneIMG_1043.jpg

Last edited:
What a collection! I really like the high relief carvings, so the black one is my favorite! I'd totally rock the Roman carving!

So I finally got around to snapping some photos...I don't have any cameos set with pearls, but there are some wearing pearls. The right/left facing pair are earrings.View attachment 47783
And here is a close up profile of the black cameo, which is an old piece. I'm not sure what the stone is, maybe agate?View attachment 47784
And a shot of the back of the black oneView attachment 47785

Those are lovely.

One of my older weaving friends has a shell cameo of a flapper. She's wearing a cloche hat and a fur collar. I swear I'm lusting after that cameo because flapper cameos are very hard to find. Mine are either Victorian or wannabe Victorian. You can tell the difference because real Victorian cameo ladies are more zaftig with double chins. The wannabes are skinny with tight and high chins.

I have a small collection of cameo rings (as well as one brooch I don't have an image of).

My only carnelian cameo:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I feel my daughter will look like this :)
attachment.php

With pearls
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a carving:
attachment.php

attachment.php

(nails are long gone, sacrifices for playing guitar)

- Karin

Those rings are gorgeous. I love them. I'm afraid I would destroy a ring. I have a bad habit of banging my rings on walls as I go around corners. I still don't know how I keep doing that.

Back