PearlParadise AA+ quality ?

pearlies

Hi there, I am looking for a strand of approx 24", round 7.5-8mm freshwater pearls. Was thinking of stringing them together with my 2mm white gold beads between every pearls. I am looking at PP and other sites recommended on this forum.

I was wondering if the AA+ white freshwater pearls on PP display an orient? are the FW pearls on PP all tissue-nucleated? what exactly are the differences between AA+ and AAA? What are the untreated colors availble?

Hi Jeremy if u r looking at this, may I know if u sell them unknotted (just on temporary strand) without clasp?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I can answer some of that. When Jeremy comes along he can fill you in more.

PP has this chart that shows grading and what the grades mean:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm

As to orient (that play of colors), I believe it is only found in the Freshadama line; in truth, I have a hard time seeing orient even in my Freshadamas-- maybe it's my middle-aged eyes or maybe it's just that orient is easier to see when a pearl surface is irregular. But the luster is wonderful.

The freshwaters are mostly tissue nucleated, but there are exceptions. I see PP now has a bead nucleated strand called "Edison", and they have had "souffl?" pearls which are mud nucleated (hollow after drilling). Also the "Fireball" pearls have a bead.

As to loose pearls, there is a page about that:
edited to add link: http://www.pearlparadise.com/loosepearls.html

Freshwaters do come in a variety of colors which you can see on this page: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Loose-Freshwater-Pearls189.aspx

I have bought a strand unknotted and I know others have as well.

I'm sure Jeremy will be along with more.

Last edited:
Thank u Pearl dream! I will check out the links now.

I am looking for a 3 pieces Pearl Set now (unknotted-I wanna knot myself) with strong orient and untreated color.

Do u think I should look into the metallic range or Freshadama? Which display a stronger orient (easily visible)?

I would like 7.5-8mm for the bracelet and necklace, but 6.5mm for the earring (as I have diamond earring jackets that will fit a 6.5mm), do u think it will look not look a set?

The metallics have-- well, a metallic luster. I'm not so sure about orient per se; I did not order a strand of them as I already had multicolor exotics from a previous offering. I suggest you phone PP and discuss orient and which pearls are most likely to show them strongly in the sizes you want. They do have metallics in that size range and they are fantastic!

Looking at what PP is selling now, the only cultured freshwater pearls I see that are dyed are the black ones. The pinks, peaches, lavenders and multicolors are all natural colors.

I will just add this: sometimes the best orient is found in baroques.

I am looking for a single color strand, lighter tone, not the multicolors. But I only see one set of multicolor metallic.

I was wondering if the metallic luster will last or will it become more subtle over time?

eta: I noticed that the white FW pearls my granny left behind turned yellowish, though they still in their round shape.

Will all white pearls turn slight yellow in time to come? will the natural color like pink-peach or light-lavender mask this yellowing better? or even better maintain it color and not yellow out like the white ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
These are single color metallics in 7.5-8mm:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-Exotic-Metallic-Color-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace3311.aspx

As the color is natural and all nacre (not a metallic coating) I would be very surprised if the luster were to become dull with time-- assuming the pearls are cared for properly, of course. My exotics bought in 2008 look as good now as when I got them.

Edit: I see they have matching stud earrings available.
Edit again: But the matching earrings would be the same size, and you want smaller-- definitely talk to them. They have a lot of pearls in that vault, many more than are currently up on their website!!

Last edited:
Hi pearl dreams thank u for the replies!

The 26" infinity aa+ freshwater pearls seem to be what I am looking for. Hopefully it's available in metallic as well :)

I believe the exotic metallics are all the AAA grade fully round pearls, but there is no harm is asking them! Perhaps they have some AA+ grade metallic pearls in the vault....

The metallics have-- well, a metallic luster. I'm not so sure about orient per se; ....

I will just add this: sometimes the best orient is found in baroques.
I agree, Which is why I love the baroques; I am an orient freak.

I have seen really round freshadamas with a subtle orient in the past. It is my aging eyes. I have a strand with orient, but can no longer see it. It did not fade, because my daughter still sees it.

The metallics don't have orient. they are totally into out-shining akoyas in their interesting untreated colors- a noble ambition in which they succeed admirably. My white metallics are white with a copper metallic overtone. They do outshine a lot of akoyas! I'll wear them in the presence of others wearing Hanadamas, anytime.

P-Dreams, You are such an excellent poster! thanks for all your contributions over the many years you have graced this forum. Big smooch!

Thanks Caitlin...life has kept me away but I do pop in to see what's up.

Pearlies, I just saw your edit about the yellowing. Are you sure the pearls were not cream colored to begin with? I have FW Biwa pearls from 1980 that are as white as when I got them.

Hi pearl dreams thank u for the replies!

The 26" infinity aa+ freshwater pearls seem to be what I am looking for. Hopefully it's available in metallic as well :)

A 26"infinity was my first purchase from PP back in 2004! Restrung with the wh gold beads, it will be a nice flapper length. Please show us the result!

I had left a couple of messages to pp since Sunday but I have not receive a reply as yet..
just to keep u guys update, I will be going for a short trip for the next 10days. Will continue by quest for strong orient Pearls when I am back! Tks for the advises Caitlin and pearl dreams:)

Back