pearling industry breakthrough

KAC

1337179.jpg
TWO Manning oysterfarmers are helping to put the NSW Central Coast on the pearl industry map, changing the face of the Australian industry by successfully cultivating pearls in the waters of Broken Bay.

Ian Crisp and Peter Clift joined forces in 2005 with fellow oysterfarmers, Roger Clarke and Denis Paterson, and have just harvested their fourth crop in Brisbane Water, collecting up to 20,000 pearls over seven days.

Their venture is significant in the fact that the Australian cultured pearl industry has until now been predominantly located in Western Australia (centred on Broome) and the Northern Territory.

While still a relatively small producer, Broken Bay Pearls is the only company cultivating pearls in NSW and Mr Crisp believes this is due to the pristine environment in Broken Bay.

Broken Pay pearls take about four years to produce, from oyster spat obtained from the Fisheries Research Station at Port Stephens. Seeding takes place at two years and then it takes a further two years for the pearls to grow.

Featured in a recent article in the Newcastle Herald, Mr Crisp, who cultivates oysters in several parts of the Manning River, said site selection was critical for pearl production.

"You need high water quality and a catchment not affected too much by fresh water to succeed," he said.

The Broken Bay operation is now producing world-class Akoya pearls with natural colours and superior lustre to that of many imported Akoya pearls from Asia, which have been bleached or artificially coloured.

The company has secured leading Australian jewellers Percy Marks as its national wholesaler and sells in jewellery stores in most capital cities with the vision to eventually expand overseas.

Full Article: http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au...o-pearling-industry-breakthrough/2234835.aspx

Broken Bay Pearls is indeed producing beautiful pearls. Denis was kind enough to chase me up persistently last year and invite me to see their operations and watch the harvest. I was delighted when Bernadette was able to get to Sydney (pretty much for the day!) to join me!

Brisbane Water is located a short 45 minutes or so from where I live in the northern suburbs of Sydney. The area is famous for producing oysters for the restaurant and food industry, and as Ian explained to us on the day, natural pearls seemed to be more abundant in some of their leases than in others. In the days when Mikimoto had a small operation slightly further north on our Central Coast, Ian and his partners decided to take a risk and begin this new venture.

Bernadette and I were privileged to watch the harvest of a several hundred oysters on the day - as the photos above show, the pearls, straight from the oyster, were simply beautiful - round, lustrous, and most exquisitely coloured. It is indeed a small operation, but has the backing and support of one of Australia's most esteemed jewellers. The more people that know about Broken Bay Pearls the better! They really do deserve to be successful.

Bernadette and I had a fabulous day - our hosts, Denis Paterson, Ian Crisp and his wife Rose, are great people and it was very special to spend a beautiful sunny winter's day watching these gems come to life.

Thanks Bernadette for posting the pics! Gotta do it again some time!!

Fantastic photos and story and it is always great to hear from Bernadette! Have you asked them to sign up here- unless maybe they don't have the internet?

The small gourmet pearl operations are my favorites!

Back