Pearl Shapes

• Thread starter Satine De La Courcel
  • Start date
S

Satine De La Courcel

Good Day to all,

I am confused and need advice/guidance about something that I have come across, as some of you know I am a historical Re-enactor/Recreator... I am instructing classes on pearl basics through the middle ages similaritues and differences then and now.. I have come across something that has stumped me. the difference between the Pear shape and the Drop shape.... According to Kunuz, Teh Pear shape pearl, resembles a pear, Terminating at a point, and is either flat at teh lower end or round.... while the Drop shape resembles the pear shape except it is larger at the lower end than the pear shaped.

What confuses me is that due to Limited resources, for some examples I unfortunately need to use those plastic ones that can be bought at craft stores..(Hiding head in shame) What they term Drop shapes look Kinda like a tear drop... I do have some my mother gave me from my grandmothers costume jewellry that look like pear shaped however they are bigger at the bottom than what I would consider a drop pearl... I know its hard to tell with the plastic beads, as I said I have limited funds.... What Should I do??? use my better judgement??? I do hope to someday have all real examples I can present but that is a long while off... so in the meantime... any suggestions??? guidance and help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Ashby

This can really be left up to interpretation. In fact, the GIA classifies the 'Drop' shape as such:
Symmetrical, rounded pear shape. Can be long or short drop.
GIA Course 'Pearls', chapter 3 page 6
So basically a drop shape is a pear shape, and a pear shape is a drop shape.

When I am sorting pearls, however, I do distinguish between the two. The pear shapes (to me) look more like a pear, and the drops similar to a teardrop. I just took a photo of two loose pearls to show you what I mean. The pearl on the left I would classify as a drop, while the pearl on the right I would classify as pear-shape.

Ashby, would you mind sending me a PM with your mailing address?

Attachments

• dropandpear.JPG
    dropandpear.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks. I just wanted too make sure I was doing the right thing! I NEVER want to EVER give any incorrect information about beloved Pearls!!!!! I feel like you always come to my rescue... My Hero!! LOL!!!

Ashby

Back