Pearl Outlet Gem Grade Help

texasgirl

:) I am new here and looking for a classic strand of pearls. The Pearl Outlet has a strand of gem grade 8-9MM pearls on sale for $350 and I am wondering if they will be of the same quality of the Freshadamas. Also, not sure of what overtone to order. I am very fair, but get flushed, due to an "age thing". You older ladies will know what I mean!!
I would also love a pair a dangle earrings to match as the studs don't look very good om me. Pearl Paradise has the perfect pair. Should I order from the same source? Thanks for the help!!

The question of what constitutes "Gem Grade" for the current Jan 09 TPO Special has been raised before, however, no one has found out or contacted Terry to enquire.

For Pearl Paradise, "Gem Grade" are pearls that are gem quality but do not meet the criteria to be classed as "Freshadamas", as confirmed by Jeremy.

I *suspect* the TPO gem grade pearls would be those that are gem quality but do not meet the criteria to be classed as "Gem Fresh" pearls.

I suggest you contact Terry at TPO to enquire.

IMHO, I believe the TPO January Special is very good value for money, considering my own Gem Fresh custom strand of 20in 8-9mm pearls with a basket clasp cost me nearly three times as much! :rolleyes:

If I were to wear matching earrings and necklace (I never do), then I would probably purchase both from the same vendor. This way I know they will match.

As for overtone, I read somewhere rose would suit fair skin, and if in doubt, go for silver.

Hope this helps :)

DK :)

Hey Texas Girl:

DK is right about the TPO and Pearl Paradise pearls. BTW, both are extremely reputable dealers with excellent reputations. The pearls you mentioned are a fabulous value for the money and you could probably have TPO ship them straight to Pearl Paradise to have you earrings matched for you. Then have both shipped on to you. At least you could ask. TPO is in Seattle. PP is right on the way.

8-9mm gem quality pearls for $350.00? That's really a steal. You won't see a value like that often. Seriously.

barbie

PS Welcome aboard.

BTW. Everybody here knows so I guess it's okay to tell you, Terry at TPO and Jeremy at Pearl Paradise? They're brothers. I wouldn't worry about matching pearls at the same store. As long as the one doing the matching gets to see what he's matching you won't have any problems. And Jeremy at Pearl Paradise has more than a million pearls in his vault. I bet he can find something nice for your earrings.
The Shepherd brothers are very cool people. Give them a call.

barbie

Thanks! I think I will call tomorrow if they are open. The TPO pearls showed a retail value of, if I recall $2100 if that even means anything.

Thanks for the help! I will order them and post pics when I receive. These will be a anniversary gift (husband does not shop) and also something lovely to wear for our daughter's outside wedding in May.

You'll never be sorry. They are the perfect size for pretty much everything. And once you have worn them you'll gasp and say, "Oh my goodness, I could have missed out on this". It'll take you breath away.
May wedding. Congratulations and have a great time. Mom's should have great pearls at their daughters weddings. You'll set just the right note.
barbie

The $2,100.00 retail value does mean something. It is what you would likely pay for the same quality if you walked into a jewelry store to purchase your pearls. And if you could find the same quality. Stranger things have happened but not too often.

I found a strand of pearls I liked, oh, about 3 years ago. After pricing as many stores as I could find, and looking on the internet I decided to take one of my own designs to an internet 'store' and give it a go. I tried Pearl Paradise. The resulting necklace was exponentially more impressive and quite a bit less expensive. In fact it is still my favorite. The pearls are amazing!! I'll never look back. But I do still comparison shop.

Hey, it's retail therapy. It's fun!

I pulled them up again and the retail value is $2500. I am tempted to just order stud earrings to match and maybe upgrade the clasp as well.

I love retail therapy! Handbags and now, I think pearls. BTW - did Mikimoto ever make handbags? I saw one on Ebay and wondered.

I pulled them up again and the retail value is $2500. I am tempted to just order stud earrings to match and maybe upgrade the clasp as well.

I love retail therapy! Handbags and now, I think pearls. BTW - did Mikimoto ever make handbags? I saw one on Ebay and wondered.

How about having a few diamond rondelles as well as upgrading the clasp? :)

Retail therapy lifts my spirit up when I am low :)

If I get things right freshadamas are gem grade but with orient as well.

I ordered the peach graduated strand that was on the PearlParadise's holiday sale, and I assumed that they'd be Freshadamas because:

1. I requested a strand with orient. Gem grade with orient must be freshadamas, or gem fresh or whatever.
2. They used the same picture as for their freshadama graduated pink/peach strands.

I ordered the peach graduated strand that was on the PearlParadise's holiday sale, and I assumed that they'd be Freshadamas because:

1. I requested a strand with orient. Gem grade with orient must be freshadamas, or gem fresh or whatever.

Whether they will oblige is another matter, as you are requesting something that is different to what is stated for sale, just because you ask does not always mean you will get, good luck!

Hi Texasgirl! I bought the very pearls you are looking at and received them last week. They were gorgeous!!!!! I was so pleased with them. I find that both the Pearl Outlet and Pearl Paradise to be very reliable. I buy and sell pearls but when I saw these I was keeping them for myself. You won't be disappointed.

You bought the ones from The Pearl Outlet? Did they let you choose the overtone? I am waiting for them to open so I can call. Just can't decide whether to order those or the Freshadamas where I can also buy the Sasha necklace for my daughter.

I didn't choose the overtone but they came in a nice soft ever-so-slightly warm pinky overtone. I normally collect pearls that come in rare unusual colours but these had just the right balance of sheen and softness (I am not too fond of akoyas myself). have fun!

I received my order today from Pearl Paradise and the Freshadamas are GORGEOUS! I ordered the 18 in and the dangle earrings. At first, I thought that the 18 in was a tad too short on my neck and then decided that they are too perfect to return. So, Jeremy, wherever you are, how about an extender to attach for making the strand a little longer with turtlenecks? Then you could have the option of shorter or longer.

Anyway, these pearls are stunning and have so much more color and luster than my Mikimoto pearls that I had years ago. I will definitely be looking at some black pearls in the future. Oh, and did I say the earrings are stunning, too!:)

Wow! Glad they worked out for you! We chatted on tPF, no? I'm so glaf you love your freshadamas... mine were worth every dime!

Hi Callire!
Yes, we did and I have you to thank for the great advice. Now, I want a ring that I saw on this forum. This is just as addicting as TPF.

.... how about an extender to attach for making the strand a little longer with turtlenecks? Then you could have the option of shorter or longer.

Terry has a few designs on TPO, and I had a custom strand of Gem Fresh made with a basket clasp so that it can be worn as 18-20in :)

You can see a similar strand in his Akoya range :)

And I am glad you are happy with your Freshadamas :)

Hey Texas Girl:
I'm so happy to hear you love your Freshadama. I bought those for my first pearl purchase in years and feel very spoiled ever since.

Oh, and another way to 'extend' your necklace? Purchase the bracelet. Then you can wear the bracelet or lengthen the necklace with your turtleneck. Also, you can purchase a 7-8mm bracelet to go with a 8-9mm necklace because, hey, it's your extender. Depends on how big you like your bracelets. I thought I'd like the bigger pearls for bracelets but use my hands so much I was discouraged with them and now wear 7-8mm most of the time. The exotics last year were amazing in that size and very metallic/shiny so made great bracelets. Now I'm spoiled again.

Throw the book away. Do what feels good as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

barbie

PS I also wait for sales to get bracelets. Everything comes along eventually. Those Shepherd boys are very generous.

barbie - that's a great idea! I would have never thought of that! Actually, I am loving these pearls and I find myself just looking at them in the mirror. They are truly gorgeous and I will never again look at Mikimotos. Now, I need a ring!

Back