Pearl Novice with a Pearl Necklace..

Markaty

Hi guys,

I went to an auction house the other day and spotted what I thought were 5 strings of pearls in a crate of Bric a Brac. Anyhoo, I got them home hoping I could research and find out something about them but I soon realised that the subject is a bit of a labyrinth.

I'm happy that they are pearls (tooth test). The clasp reads 'Golay'

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving the attached pictures I took of one of them a glimpse and tell me what you make of them. Specifically I'm hoping to find out whether they are Akoya, etc etc

I may also Post some other of the Necklaces here if anyone wants to see. P1050636 (1280x1280).jpgP1050637 (1280x622).jpgP1050640 (1280x764).jpg

Thanks to all you good peoples,

Mark

Hi and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

You have a very pretty multicolor strand of cultured freshwater pearls from China.
The colors are natural. They are solid nacre, without a bead inside. Only a bit of mantle tissue from a donor mussel was used to culture them. This makes them very durable.
Nice find! Golay is a good brand.

Sure, post some more photos! :)

But-- please photograph them against a white background. Paper towels are fine.
Also include a few closeups, including any flaws you see.

Hi and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

You have a very pretty multicolor strand of cultured freshwater pearls from China.
The colors are natural. They are solid nacre, without a bead inside. Only a bit of mantle tissue from a donor mussel was used to culture them. This makes them very durable.
Nice find! Golay is a good brand.

Sure, post some more photos! :)

But-- please photograph them against a white background. Paper towels are fine.
Also include a few closeups, including any flaws you see.

Thanks very much for your reply!

I never knew there were so many variations of Pearls out there!

I shall definitely post the others one by one, and on a plain white background. I would do it now but it's nighttime here in the UK and I find the pictures have a harsh yellowish light under a lightbulb, so I many have to submit the other ones tomorrow.

I did take pictures of another one earlier today though (over the same black background unfortunately) so I'll post that one now, and take more pictures of it tomorrow if the ones I've taken aren't clear enough.

Thanks Again :)

Mark

White Pearl Necklace with 9CT Clasp

White Pearl Necklace with 9CT Clasp

Hi there,

Does anyone have an idea of what type of pearls these are? There quite irregular, like a half round, with a fairly even tone.

I've included a few pictures in the hope that they can be identified.

They came with a few other strands of pearls I bought at auction, and I'm a pearl novice if the Truth be told!

Thanks very much in advance

P1050645 (1280x960).jpgP1050646 (1280x960).jpgP1050647 (1280x960).jpgP1050648 (1280x960).jpgP1050654 (1280x960).jpg

Markaty, I merged your 2nd necklace thread with this one. Please keep adding new posts to this thread, including the other necklaces you bought in this lot.

I think this second necklace is also Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, but will have a look at the photos on a white background that you'll take in daylight. As you can see, these are not round; they're more like buttons, eggs, and potato shaped pearls. Baroque shapes are the commonest shapes for freshwater pearls.

Markaty, I merged your 2nd necklace thread with this one. Please keep adding new posts to this thread, including the other necklaces you bought in this lot.

I think this second necklace is also Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, but will have a look at the photos on a white background that you'll take in daylight. As you can see, these are not round; they're more like buttons, eggs, and potato shaped pearls. Baroque shapes are the commonest shapes for freshwater pearls.

I have taken pictures on a white background of all five:

1. Golay

P1050680 (1500x1500).jpg

2. 9ct Clasp

P1050687 (1500x1125).jpg

3. Purple

P1050684 (1500x854).jpg

4. White (1)

P1050698 (1500x1125).jpg

5. White (2)

P1050693 (1500x1125).jpg

Markaty,

Great find! I agree with Pearl Dreams, all cultured freshwater pearls from China. The dark pearls are dyed, but the pastels are natural color. All of the necklaces seem to have good luster. As the pearls were nucleated with a tiny piece of tissue instead of a bead, they are all nacre!

The Golay strand looks like it has little bumpers between the pearls instead of knots. They keep the pearls from rubbing together. The Golay strand is the nicest necklace of the bunch. But I agree with what everyone else said about color (dark dyed, pastels natural color) and about the pearls being all nacre with no shell bead in the center, Chinese freshwater pearls. Enjoy your necklaces!

The Golay strand looks like it has little bumpers between the pearls instead of knots. They keep the pearls from rubbing together. The Golay strand is the nicest necklace of the bunch. But I agree with what everyone else said about color (dark dyed, pastels natural color) and about the pearls being all nacre with no shell bead in the center, Chinese freshwater pearls. Enjoy your necklaces!

BW, are the bumpers used in jewelry construction, or is it only for temporary stringing? Bumpers instead of thread means no knots, more risk, right?

BW, are the bumpers used in jewelry construction, or is it only for temporary stringing? Bumpers instead of thread means no knots, more risk, right?

Yes, the bumpers are used in making finished jewelry. My GSS strand is strung on steel wire with silicone bumpers between the pearls. I have some of these bumpers (see Beadalon website) and have experimented with them on beading wire. The little bumpers have to stretch a tiny bit to fit over the wire, and are grippy, so they do not just slide off, and I believe they would provide a bit of protection were the wire to ever break. But really I feel the strand is very secure.

I have used the bumpers many times in projects where it isn't practical to string pearls with knots. I used them between the pearls on this necklace...you can't really see them, but there are bumpers between each of the multi-pearl stations. They are wire wrapped with 14k gold wire.IMG_3324.jpg

Freshwater - nice little multicoloured strand-by far the best of the lot. Not worth a lot but pretty. The others are very inexpensive.

Some companies in Japan and China use bumpers on their finished strands. I find they are quite secure as they are pretty snug .. like Jersey I use them in certain circumstances , like separating pearls from stones etc. Golay is quite a large company I believe. I've certainly seen them at the HK show in the finished jewellery area.

JP - I do love that necklace - I need that little emoticon with hearts for eyes.

The bumpers are a legit way to string pearls, as the others have mentioned. The bumpers are not as well known as using knots on thread, but the bumpers are secure and give the same sort of look as knots.

Sorry if this is a frowned upon question guys, but I am about to put the Golay Strand up for auction but I have no idea how to price it.

I need to recoup some of the money I spent on them!

I'll keep the others though, start a collection

If you are going to sell on eBay, do a search for sold pre-owned multicolor freshwater pearl necklaces of similar quality and size, and see what they went for. That will show you what the market will bear, and is your range for pricing.
Used pearls do not tend to hold their value.

Personally I would keep the Golay strand, if your search shows you won't get much for it.
If you really must sell, then aim a bit higher; you can always lower the price later if it does not go.

Last edited:
If you are going to sell on eBay, do a search for sold pre-owned multicolor freshwater pearl necklaces of similar quality and size, and see what they went for. That will show you what the market will bear, and is your range for pricing.
Used pearls do not tend to hold their value.

Personally I would keep the Golay strand, if your search shows you won't get much for it.
If you really must sell, then aim a bit higher; you can always lower the price later if it does not go.

Good advice PD, I make you right there. It's too pretty to be giving it away. It's settled, I'm keeping it!

I think you will find it very versatile. Multicolored strands are less formal than all-white strands and go with many different outfits.

BW, JP thanks for the info on the bumpers. I saw them before on unfinished gem strands that I had purchased at Intergem. But I never thaought to use them in finished work. Doah! JP, that's a sweet necklace and an execellant use for the bumpers!

Back