Pearl identification - 3 necklaces

Npearl

Dear All,

I have 3 pearl necklaces and I was wondering if you can help me please to identify them (attached).

Thank you.

Attachments

• Pearls.jpg
    Pearls.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 34
Dear pattye,

Thank you for your kind reply. I attached the picture of the graduated strand.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• auntie1
    auntie1
    59.9 KB · Views: 42
This strand is interesting. Can you give millimeter size for the end and center pearls? What is the length of the necklace? Also, what does the other side of the clasp look like? Are there markings on the clasp, sterling? Have you done a search on the street address inside the box? These pearls appear to me to be older than the other 2 strands. What else can you tell us about this necklace? The pearls don't look like akoya to me, not round enough. The way the clasp is finished is unusual also.

The little pearls at the clasp look like an attempt to make the necklace a hair longer without actually restringing it. But I'm also confused on the type of pearl. They look a bit egg shaped, which would make me think modern freshwater pearls, but the necklace looks old. I would be curious the size of the pearls in mm, too.

Dear Pattye,

Thank you again for your reply.

The center pearl is 10mm and the pearls at the end are 5mm. The length of the strand ( not including the clasp and 2 very small pearls) is 570 mm. I attached 3 pictures; it says "dag" at the back of the clasp (no sterling marking on the clasp). A few pearls have like dark water marks and the colour is darker yellow around these marks . The pearls look cream to me; I am not sure about the overtone - it looks a little bit pink, a little bit silver. These pearls belonged to my husband's grandmother. She lived in Belgium (and i guess she bought them between 1940 - 1960); i have been told it was expensive. I tried to find that store, but it doesn't exist anymore.

Yes, the other 2 necklaces are recent.

Thank you.

Attachments

• pearls 1.jpg
    pearls 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 30
  • pearls 3.jpg
    pearls 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 31
  • pearls 2.jpg
    pearls 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
Dear BWeaves,

Thank you for your reply.

The little pearls at the clasp are 3 mm.

I'm inclined to think they are akoyas. They are very dirty. I think if they are washed and restrung, the necklace would come back to life.

What are the stones in the clasp? If they are diamonds, then it is possible the pearls are good quality. If the pearls are off round and that old, they could possibly be naturals, but you would need to send them to GIA for testing.

Please look closely around the drill holes for any peeling or build up of the surface. Yes, they certainly do need a gentle bath! In some of the latest photos there appears to be a raised ring around the drill hole, which might indicate imitation pearls, as does the similarity of the reflections in the close up photos. Imitation pearls were expensive in the era you mentioned and greatly treasured. Length is about 22 inches.

MSC, you may have called this one!

Npearl, have you done the 'tooth test' on the graduated strand? Are they gritty if you rub them gently together?
The clasp is quaint, I'm sorry there is a 'stone' missing.

I think the pearls might be fake and the clasp has rhinestones. The coloring of the stones looks like its changed a bit from the glue or one has been replaced. I've also seen the little pearls on the end wire tied that way on faux pearl strands.

Hello Pattye,

Thank you for your reply.
I guess I can see some raised rings around the drill holes. I also noticed that one pearl has like a "small hair" stuck on it. I attached the picture. I would like to send this necklace for identification and once I have the result I will let you know.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• pearls..jpg
    pearls..jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36
I've seen that kind of "small hair" on imitation pearls. Like something got stuck on the bead before it was dipped in the coating.

Thank you BWeaves,

Unfortunately, I don't know what the stones are (but one is missing). I will send the necklace for identification, thank you.

If you have access to a 10x loupe, look at the surface of these pearls close up. Real nacre looks smooth while imitation pearl coatings look coarse under 10x magnification. If in doubt about what you are seeing, compare with a known-real pearl or a known-fake pearl.

Conversely, when rubbed gently against the edge of a front tooth, or when 2 of the pearls are rubbed together, real pearls feel a bit gritty, while imitation pearls tend to glide smoothly (although if they are grimy, even fake pearls may not glide smoothly.)

Hello Happy Huku,

I did the "tooth test" and I rubbed them together; they feel smooth compare to the other 2 necklaces I have so I guess they are fake. Thank you.

Thank you! I will buy a loupe and check. They glide smoothly. Thank you again.

The more I look at the middle necklace, the more I think faux pearl, too.

Back