Pearl found today on beach in County Down

Tashadventure

Hi all,

I came across this little beauty in the rocks while heading back to beach after Some exploring this afternoon. I was at Ballyquintin Bay, a little outside of Portaferry on the Ards Peninsula.

It's perfectly round and seems in wonderful condition.

Any idea if it would be worth anything? What is it exactly?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 28
It doesn't look like a pearl. Many quartz rocks get tumbled perfectly round by the waves. It's still pretty, just not worth anything.

Still, it must have been a little thrill to come across something so unexpected! Not a pearl, but if it was, the size alone would make it an amazing find. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

It appears to be glass.

Perfectly round natural pearls are infinitely rare. Even from cultural operations and special handling, the incidence of perfect roundness while presenting free of blemishes are in the minority.

Pearls are also very soft (3.8 - 4.2 mohs). Being the softest material on the beach, sun and wave action will dull and dent a pearl rapidly.

Every now and then, we'll see finds like this shared with the group. It's difficult to know exactly why objects like these are found, but some probable reasons may include slingshot ammo, kid's toys etc. or any utility function in conjunction with other products.

If it isn't glass, you could half-drill it and wear it as a pendant or ring. If it is glass, it won't drill without shattering, so then something like a claw setting would be secure without drilling..

Whatever it is, it is a rare and wonderful gift of the sea!

Thank you all for the replies! My other half tried to convince me it was some kind of marble.... I'm much too optimistic! Oh well, I'll happily keep it safe as a little reminder of a great day exploring.

Back